What to do?

Lulutwin1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diagnosed in 2012, with type 1.5 diabetes, age 60, BMI 25.4 Weight 9.7 Av A1c 7.4 currently controlled by only Metformin, 1000mg twice a day

Me: I am an identical twin, there is no diabetes in my family and my twin does not have the antibodies

I am trying to avoid the insulin route and am keeping to (Dr Beinstein) low carb diet. The metformin is playing havoc with my stomach although the Atkins type diet is helping. I understand there is alternative medication that is easier on the stomach, although neither my GP or my Consultant has suggested this. I am unable to tolerate most fruits do not eat red meat and therefore am struggling with what to eat. I really want to preserve what insulin I have but its so hard. I have so many questions, it feels like too many to write.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hiya, not to sure so just hazarding a guess, do you mean the slow release Metformin? Is so go back to your GP and tell him point blank that you can not tolerate the Metformin you are on so could you please try the SR Metformin.
Questions? Just ask away someone will know the answer :)

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Lulu and welcome to the forum.

Just ask as many questions as you like. That's what the forum is for. You will find lots of lovely, friendly and supportive people here.

It's good you can't tolerate fruits because these are often not a wise choice for us. They all contain a lot of sugar. Can you manage berries? Strawberries, raspberries, etc? Just a few with cream or yogurt (not a whole punnet!)

Ask away.

Lulutwin1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much Sometimes it feels like I don't know where to begin. I do eat berries and strawberries in moderation. Dr B's book is informative but lots of it is hard to understand in respect of the condition and how the body works. Lada being more difficult to manage as you don't know how much insulin your body is making. Some people say that it is better to be able to eat what you want and adjust insulin accordingly and yet he says to keep your levels near normal with very low carb diet and meticulous small doses of insulin you can preserve your beta cells. I am reluctant to start injecting unless its absolutely necessary, but wonder if delaying is damaging for me. Thinking about the diet, the best treatment, and adjusting to the illness is overwhelming sometimes. I have always been a happy person inside and out and I feel now I have lost that part of myself.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

What are your daily blood glucose test results, pre and after food, and fasting in the mornings?

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I was able to prolong my honeymoon phase without insulin for a couple of years, but I did it fully vegan at the time (no meat or animal products - just plant based products n nothing overly processed it was all fresh or frozen, not even canned stuff was used). HIgh carb, low fat medium protein was my ratios (still is actually)

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I am new, initial diagnosis last Saturday. After about a month noticing changes in my body. Started with being thirstly, thenn numbness in the fingers of the left hand, then pain in the legs and a reduction in leg strength over the month. I went to the doctor to check it out and had tests, my blood sugar was 17.9....very high the doctor said. Have had some more tests, but they have started me on Metaphormin.
I had gestational diabetes some years ago, so not unfamiliar with what I have to do, I think, but was on insulin then.
Tell me will some of the symptons go away after I get sugar under controll? Particularly the leg strength?
Any help or advice would be helpful.
Anne

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Lulutwin IMO your best long term outcome is with a controlled BG, If it was me, I'd be on insulin with a A1c of 7.4
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php

insulin migration, very similar to T1.5..... page 2, the fear factor
http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com...type-2-diabetes-what-you-should-know?page=0,1
Face Your Fears
Be honest with your health care providers about any concerns you have about taking insulin. "Get the facts you need about taking insulin in the 21st century," says endocrinologist Anthony McCall, M.D., Ph.D. He says many fears are due to dated knowledge, observations of older relatives who have taken insulin, and lack of awareness about the current devices and [Pens] used to take insulin.

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I am new, initial diagnosis last Saturday. After about a month noticing changes in my body. Started with being thirstly, thenn numbness in the fingers of the left hand, then pain in the legs and a reduction in leg strength over the month. I went to the doctor to check it out and had tests, my blood sugar was 17.9....very high the doctor said. Have had some more tests, but they have started me on Metaphormin.
I had gestational diabetes some years ago, so not unfamiliar with what I have to do, I think, but was on insulin then.
Tell me will some of the symptons go away after I get sugar under controll? Particularly the leg strength?
Any help or advice would be helpful.
Anne
yes, I found my strength came back
these sites helped me
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

Lulutwin1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome!

What are your daily blood glucose test results, pre and after food, and fasting in the mornings?
My test results are 10/11 on awaking they drop after medication and breakfast to about 7 After lunch (usually a salad) and travelling home from work they can be about 5 and dependant on what I eat for dinner can be as low as 8 but was 17 the other evening and not sure why. I took myself for a brisk walk and they dropped to 13 Next morning the same as usual As I am taking oral medication the Doc says it is not necessary for me to test before and after every meal, he recommends testing occasionally. Honestly its hard to know what to do for the best

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

please ignore your doctor when he says it's not necessary to test often. Whilst you are learning you need to test regularly, on fasting (immediately you get out of bed), immediately before a meal, then 2 hours after your first bite. I also test 1 hour after my first bite because I am more likely to catch the peak by doing that. Keep a food diary, and record your readings next to the meal so you can look back and see what exactly is causing rises. If you find a meal has spiked you up by 2mmol/l or more then something in that meal is wrong for you and you may want to amend the portions or cut it out. Once you are more experienced you won't need to test so often. Having said that, it is regular daily testing that keeps me motivated as I keep charts and graphs, and just love to see my levels improving. But there again, I am a bit OCD about it!

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lulutwin1

I completely agree with everything that @Bluetit1802 said.

The links that Jack posted are great, and they will give you an idea of the blood glucose levels to aim at - which are also the levels at which you reduce the chance of developing the horrible diabetic complications that appear when blood glucose is too high for too long.

From my personal point of view, if I hadn't been testing my blood glucose as Bluetit suggests, for months, then I wouldn't have found out the problem foods that were sending it high. Because I did test, I have better control than I expected, and have now eased off testing, unless I'm eating a new food, or on holiday - just to keep me aware and to prevent slipping back to old habits.

Lulutwin1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hiya, not to sure so just hazarding a guess, do you mean the slow release Metformin? Is so go back to your GP and tell him point blank that you can not tolerate the Metformin you are on so could you please try the SR Metformin.
Questions? Just ask away someone will know the answer :)

Hello
Thank you for your taking the time to respond I am surprised how many helpful people there are out there, its encouraging and over whelming
Yes I am already on the slow release metformin
I guess I will get there eventually with help

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Lulutwin, I would strongly second what Jack suggested, to read Jenny Ruhl's website (phlaunt, link above). She makes Dr Bernstein much easier to understand. Dr B is not the clearest of writers, bless 'im.

mcdonagh47

. Honestly its hard to know what to do for the best

Not really. You are a Type 1 Diabetic effectively and you need insulin soon or later. If you are in double figures a lot of the time - go for it now.
Insulin is actually one of the strategies for preserving Beta Cells for as long as possible in slow-burn Type 1s because you rest them instead of thrashing them to death with impossible challenges as you are doing at present.

Reactions: 5 people

Lulutwin1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not really. You are a Type 1 Diabetic effectively and you need insulin soon or later. If you are in double figures a lot of the time - go for it now.
Insulin is actually one of the strategies for preserving Beta Cells for as long as possible in slow-burn Type 1s because you rest them instead of thrashing them to death with impossible challenges as you are doing at present.
Thank you that makes a lot of sense,

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on diaformin now since Monday, yesterday my doctor increased the dose to 2 tablets before breakfast and dinner. Today after lunch I got the worst diharea and sweats, feeling completely horrid like I was going to pass out. The pill instructions and the website I looked at said these side effects improve over time. What are others experience? I am doing LCHF diet at the moment.. Morning reading 11.9, two hrs after breakfast 9.7.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on diaformin now since Monday, yesterday my doctor increased the dose to 2 tablets before breakfast and dinner. Today after lunch I got the worst diharea and sweats, feeling completely horrid like I was going to pass out. The pill instructions and the website I looked at said these side effects improve over time. What are others experience? I am doing LCHF diet at the moment.. Morning reading 11.9, two hrs after breakfast 9.7.
Hi and welcome ask lots of questions, I can't give medical advice, I would contact your DR
my uninformed opinion,
If I was ok on 2 before, I would go to 3 tabs till the side effects settle, then back to 4
I would take the tablets mid meal
I would make sure I'm on slow release

I found metformin took 3 weeks to kick in on BG