EGG IRONY!!!!

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Worth a read for anyone worried about egg consumption.

"Egg-Irony" – that's how ScienceDaily referred to a new study that shows how egg consumption might alleviate a heart disease risk factor.

The real irony is that egg consumption has dropped over the past four decades, largely due to absurd medical mainstream warnings that the cholesterol in eggs will clog your arteries and kill you. In fact, if consumers had instead eaten MORE eggs, heart disease rates might actually be lower.

Sunny side up

If you have high blood pressure, your doctor has probably pressed you to take an Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme (ACE) inhibitor drug.

A couple of eggs each day might do just as well.

Two researchers at Canada's University of Alberta recently ran lab tests to determine if consumption of fried eggs or boiled eggs would produce greater amounts of ACE inhibitory peptides.

I'll cut to the chase: The fried eggs won.

In a recent issue of Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry the authors write: "Our results showed that in vitro digestion of cooked eggs could generate a number of potent ACE inhibitory peptides which may have implications for cardiovascular disease prevention, including hypertension."

Human trials will be needed before eggs can be recommended to address high blood pressure. But it certainly isn't too early to state, once again, that eggs are absolutely NOT dangerous. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find a more nutrient-packed food.

Cholesterol crisis

HSI Panellist Dr. Allan Spreen, kindly sent me the info about the Alberta egg study. But even more valuable was his commentary. Stand back and give him some swinging room. Dr. Spreen takes no prisoners in this one.

Dr. Spreen: "Actually, neither egg nor cholesterol ingestion has ever had anything to do with either hypertension or hypercholesterolemia [high cholesterol]. There is no correlation between oral intake of cholesterol and serum levels (I also firmly believe there's no connection between serum levels and heart disease, but that's an argument for another time).

"If you never eat cholesterol your body will manufacture it (or you die), and the 'manufactured' variety is more readily deposited in vessel walls.

"Eggs are wonderful food, always have been, and that includes the yolk (rare good source of sulphur).

"The studies on cholesterol/eggs and heart disease were done using POWDERED eggs! However, there is a familial hypercholesterolemia where some have to ease up on egg intake, but primarily the problem has always been OXIDIZED cholesterol – cholesterol heated and exposed to air for an extended period...not an issue in a real egg, where the yolk sac insulates the cholesterol from oxidation."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 224655.htm

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Great stuff ,Graham.Can we go back to the old slogan .'Go to work on an egg' ? :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I love my eggs for breakfast.

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Graham
I eat them every day,1 or maybe 2 depends on size, medium or large if not for brekky, then for lunch, like today, with streaky bacon, mushrooms, sausages, all fried ummmmm yummieeee

i was worried about my weight, awhile back, :roll: :roll: but looks like its stabelised now, not worried anymore, i,m 10st-41/4 as of today , 8) was 10st-3/4 a month ago , and my belly is less lol

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Jeenie,
Love eggs to don't think I could manage without them, they are an integral part of my diet I often have an omelette as a mid morning snack, filling and no effect on BG :D

Regards Graham

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Trinkwasser said:
I WISH I liked them but that sulphurous eggy flavour just turns me off. I have to wait until they grow up.

Sulphurous ?? I think you've had too many beans again. :(

jeenie1940

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ah but Graham, :lol:
if you eat the eggs for snacks, what, :?: please tell, :idea: s do you eat for brekky /or lunches :)