Cost of blood glucose and ketone strips to NHS

Saracen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I live in wales and they are free- Recently we were all ( virtually) changed to a choice of 2 in the county. I had one - whatever the other choice was I did not know - understand -or need to know as which ever does the job - thankfully. But I think the Govt are being ripped off. Different item but same process - some years ago I went to Canaries and ran out of my inhaler for asthma. Those days I paid for all medicines and only became free when diabetic - now of course free prescriptions in Wales anyway. I went to a Chemist to try and get something for my asthma and after showing him my empty ventolin - He went out the back - came back with a box full and asked how many I wanted - 200ptas each ( about £1.00 then). Over the counter drug and when I mentioned to DR he looked them up and NHS was being charged £13.00 each for same product ( he checked the labels etc) and I paid about £5.00 prescription charge. We are on an unlevel playing field somewhere. As for the R & D - yes we know it is expensive and vital but you should see the marketing and expenses /entertainment budgets!!.

Reactions: 2 people

Tyronnster

This is what I was wondering. Recently diagnosed an had about 4 free Meters sent. I love the look of the accu check mobile but found the cassette an lancets expensive.

If I put a request for this one would it be knocked back.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If I put a request for this one would it be knocked back.

I don't think so but can't say with any certainty, much depends on the gp who is writing the prescription.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
I'm in Scotland, and the NHS here has a bit more cash. I have never been denied, or for that matter even questioned about any of my supplies (My meter munches through 300 tests per month!). Doc just writes whatever I ask for. I'm moving to England next year, and not looking forward to the constant wrangling with the health service to get the supplies I need :-(

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
Doc just writes whatever I ask for. I'm moving to England next year, and not looking forward to the constant wrangling with the health service to get the supplies I need :-(

I should point out I'm referring to diabetic supplies. Got denied my request for 200 grams of Morphine ;-)

Saracen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I should point out I'm referring to diabetic supplies. Got denied my request for 200 grams of Morphine ;-)
Hello. I made a comment earlier about costs and referred to buying an inhaler over the counter for £1 years ago. However to expand slightly - recently went to get a blood test prior to seeing Diabetic Doctor ( sent for it) . At surgery there was a young phlebotomist ( nurse spelled correctly) and she queried I had had so many tests on the screen. I agreed that I had 2 a year. She actually went and confirmed with practice nurse that she could give me a test ??? What the hell are we coming to. They cannot adjust the treatment unless they see past history from tests but this young lady took it on herself to try and save the NHS a £fiver or whatever. Recently a young niece of mine was sent to Drs for an injection she normally has at the hospital - instructed by hospital mind. He refused to give it her as it cost £352. Fortunately after a few phone calls it was sorted and he gave it her. What is it coming to - don't get ill!!.
However my 3 month old nephew just had a major heart op in Bristol BRI last Saturday - looking good - Bloody well done to all the team who carried it out and are looking after him. It is not all bad in this country - just the few .

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't understand why the NHS doesn't start their own factory making meters and test strips.
It would make much more sense, rather than pandering to the big drug/pharma co's as they do.
But then I suppose Elite pals wouldn't be able to become millionaire's off the backs of the NHS and taxpayer.
I like India's approach where patent's aren't allowed on drugs.
Hence an £84,000 drug in the west, only costs £2000 in India
Well it sounds like many areas are doing something similar by forcing everyone to use the same meter, the cheapest one they can find. People are understandably upset about that.

If there was one meter, made by the NHS, and we all had to use it, it would be the size of a dictionary and a test would take 5 minutes.

The NHS in my view does a fair job of ensuring suppliers keep their prices low and still offer a variety of different product features. This is only possible when there are lots of suppliers touting for our services. As soon as there is a monopoly, government or not, costs will go through the roof while quality and innovation drop through the floor. I think the NHS is entitled to keep an eye on the cost of supplying us with strips and make sure it is justified.

Keep in mind that we in the UK are one of the few diabetic populations in the world where everything we need is provided to us for free.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
NHS-manufactured blood glucose meter, 2014 model.

Attachments

• 1411582793832.jpg
    1411582793832.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 300