How old were you when you first diagnosed with type 1?? And how long do you have it??

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi starmaker123
My BS started off week 1 in the mid teens and by week 3 was settled at 5 to 6 most of the tine, thought I had it all nailed!!!! I was wrong
Have had a mild hypo everyday for the past 10 days, due to the basal dose I think
Have now lowered the lantus to 8 units at bedtime and so far today have been 7 before breakfast and 8.2 a couple of hours after so I'm happier now!!

Starmaker123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi again Type1Bri, I had a few hypos during the first couple weeks after coming home from hospital so they gradually dropped my dropped my doses - my Lantus is now at 6 and my Apidra before meals is 3 or 4 depending on what Im eating. I do find that just when I think I have the hang of it, a curveball comes my way, hence the high glucometer usage! I made a right boo-boo last week when in rushing my breakfast before leaving for work, I took my lantus instead of apidra, I normally keep them separate. lets just say it wasn't one of my better days! :wacky:

Reactions: 2 people

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Oh that's not good, hope you levelled out quite easily after that!!! How many test strips do you get on prescription from your go, mine will only give 100 at a time and when you are newly diagnosed and having hypo you use 10 a day sometimes!!!

Starmaker123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im in Ireland so all my diabetes scripts are free - I can get as many strips as I like. How were you diagnosed, had you been sick for a while or was it sudden?

Type1Bri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Highs and lows
Hi
Yeah mine are all free too, just read somewhere on here that gp had been limiting the test strips!!!! I was diagnosed on 10th Sept
Went to gp as had been drinking 10L of water a day and was still thirsty! !! Also had lost 18 lbs in 7 weeks!!! And sure enough out of the blue I'm a type 1. Addmitted to hospital with ketone levels of 7.2 and the rest us history! !!!!

jode the toad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i was 17, 21 years ago. i lost 12kgs in two weeks while away on holiday. on the way back home on the train i spent all my money on coke and orange juice trying to quench my thirst, i ended up drinking water out of the tap and standing by the toilet ! next day at the doctors my sugar level was 46 !

fionnhutton

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
May 1999, I was 11 and on holiday in Marmaris, Turkey. Have to say I've had better holidays. Health service was rubbish they nearly killed me, bless the nurse from Leeds that the embassy flew out to help me. X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I was diagnosed 6 days before my 17th birthday last year in corfu... very similar experience to you. But I had to fly home to get it sorted. No one came out to me. Nurses in Stafford hospital sorted me out quick time and gaveme all the care and more I needed x

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
39 years ago for me too ('anniversary' was last week), diagnosed at 6.

I remember learning to inject on a teddy bear in hospital that first evening.

ck18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Was diagnosed as type 1 in March this year. On a visit to my GP a few weeks ago he stated I was type 2 - when I queried this he said he knew better than the hospital (who diagnosed me). When I finally got hold of the hospital DSN this week (who'd told me I was type 1) she stated one of my tests is missing but figures are so stable its more than likely I'm type 1 or at worst 1.5 - definitely not type 2 - she laughed when I told her my GP had told me he knew better than they did (when he had only ever met me once!). Seeing hospital diabetes team next month - if my test results are still missing I have to be retested. On top of that GPs diabetic nurse told me I should have done DAFNE course and be counting calories, carbs etc. Hospital DSN states they haven't run these or anything similar for years - they're starting a new course soon but only for those who can't control the blood sugar levels so I don't qualify for that. She checked my H1AB level results - fine and told me calorie/carb counting totally unneccessary, just eat sensibly! Right Hand.... Left Hand.... Do they really know what they're doing????

Last edited by a moderator:

toby64

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello All
i hate to say i,t but i might be the oldest, so far, i was diagnosed , just after my 4th birthday, now have been type 1 for over 53 years, hopefully a few more years left though.
Best Regards
Toby

Reactions: 12 people

bluebel1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liars
I was diagnosed in 1969,and I was 5 years old,in a couple of weeks I reach the big 50so I guess that means I've been a type 1 for 45 years(OMG,I never realised!)

Reactions: 4 people