PAYING FOR PRESCRIPTIONS

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:lurking::)I have been told by my doctor that I have diabetes and will have to start taking Metformin 500mg. I have an appointment with the diabetic nurse tomorrow.

Do I have to pay for prescriptions for Metformin..... I usually pay for my prescriptions.

Can I get a medical exemption card???

How do I go about this??

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not sure of the answer for those who are on metformin, but if you don't qualify you can purchase a pre-payment certificate through the NHS, it saves a fortune if you are getting a prescription regularly and require multiple meds.

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 on Metformin and yes now you are diabetic unfortunately you are classified as chronicly ill and as such you will get a medical exemption card and no longer have to pay for your prescriptions.
Ask the nurse for a form

lynnedeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm type 2 on Metformin and yes now you are diabetic unfortunately you are classified as chronicly ill and as such you will get a medical exemption card and no longer have to pay for your prescriptions.
Ask the nurse for a form
Thank you for your advice - will ask the nurse tomorrow. :)

Reactions: 2 people

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetics on insulin or medication are exempt from paying for prescriptions but not diet controlled diabetics

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are eligible if you are have diabetes and take some sort of medication for it. Your GP will need to sign the form and send it off. The card you get lasts for five years and when it is due for renewal you are sent another form and you confirm that your circumstances are still the same.

The exemption card covers all prescription medication, not just your diabetes medication.

This page explains it all http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1126.aspx

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i,m on metformin and i got a exemption card, i filled a forn in at my surgery and gp signed it and about 2 weeks later #got my exemption card which lasts for 5 years