Diagnosis

bex

Hi, sorry if i have put this in the wrong bit of the forum this is my first time here.
I went to the dr a few weeks back as i've been having the following symptoms

Constant thirst no matter how much water i drink i cant quench it
Always needing the loo
Tiredness
Feeling hungry often even after ive eaten

He tested my urine which he said was ok and sent me on my way.
Is urine all that is needed to test for diabetes, because from what i have read you should have blood taken also? I was just wondering as i am wondering if it is worth going back to the dr about this as its not getting any better, possibly a bit worse if anything. For the past week i've been getting up in the night for the toilet and more water.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum Bex.Please go back to your doctor and ask for a blood test!!He should have done this to begin with.

pip

I am no expert but glucose can show up in a urine test which could indicate diabetes and/or other problems i.e infection. However I am sure that a blood test would be needed to confirm things. I would definitely suggest going back to your docs and asking for further advice and testing, if even only to put your worries to rest. I am sure others here with much more experience will be along soon to advise, good luck :)

nessa-lou

Dislikes
my injections
hey bex, when i was diagnosed 5 years ago all i had was a urine test and she sent me to the hospital as she suspected iw as diabetic, and then ih ad my blood test, but they probably haven't took it further as when you sugars are high sugar goes through your urine which would show in your test, showing that insulin is not breaking the sugar down and allowing it to flow through your urine, i wouldnt worry too much but i would go back to the doctors to get your blood tested. :) at least that way you can relax abit if you get to the bottom of it x

bex

He did say at first he would do the blood test but said there was no need after the urine was ok.
Im going to the dr's next week and seeing my regular doc so will mention it to her she seems a bit more thorough with things.

Jo123

Bex, definitely go back to your doctor for a blood test, as I understand it your BG has to be really high to show up in your urine.
I only have impaired fasting BG which means I am not diabetic but my body is not handling my BG levels as it should be. I am lucky it has been found before it goes into full blown diabetes as I have been able to do something about it. The BG levels that I had would never have shown up in urine.

samcogle

Hi Bex, I would go back and ask for a blood test. I had a urine test done a couple of weeks ago for an unrelated ailment to diabetes and the nurse said I had no sugar in my urine yet i am diabetic.
Don't mean to scare you but it will put your mind at rest...good luck.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Bex
Your kidneys have a point at which they will allow glucose to spill over into the urine.that's called the Renal threshold.
If your renal threshold is very low, you can show urine glucose without being diabetic and if high, you may have diabetes and not show urine sugar.
An average renal threshold is about 10mmol/l If someone has a renal threshold higher than this( and some people must), that could prevent glucose appearing in the urine in definite cases of diabetes.
There is probably always some glucose in urine. the kidneys don't retrieve it all.
I read an article on this which contends that variations in renal threshold are common

Trinkwasser

Hana is spot on, urine tests are frankly not worth the paper you **** on.

If your GP won't do a proper blood test try your pharmacy. You could get them to do a fasting test, but bear in mind that most forms of Type 2 start with raised postprandial glucose, so a better plan might be to eat a load of carbs then go in for a test within the hour.

#1 plan would be to buy your own meter, but bear in mind although the meters are cheap the strips are expensive

bex

Thanks for the info.
My dr is in on Wednesday so i am going to go see her, will update again after i've been :)
(How common is diabetes in a 23yr old?)

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya bex,
good luck on wednesday,
age doesnt really matter with diabetes, any age can get it :D

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Lloyds Pharmacy do a test for you - you just walk in and ask to be tested.

This is what I did when I had tiredness, thirst, and a sudden weight loss.

I had a high BG reading and so went straight to my doctor.

Having a test in this way is (to my mind) more efficient than taking up an appointment in the surgery.

[Oh, and if the result is 'not diabetes' then you should be pushing your doctor for an answer to what else might be causing the symptoms!]

samcogle

bex said:
Thanks for the info.
My dr is in on Wednesday so i am going to go see her, will update again after i've been :)
(How common is diabetes in a 23yr old?)
Unfortunately diabetes is not ageist although my doctor did say that as I had gestational diabetes it was bound to come back in 'later' life. But I am only 42 and don't exactly consider that to be my twighlight years :lol:

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's not very common at 23 I think, I was diagnosed at 22ish, and twice now I've had chemists look at me strangely when I hand over my presciption and ask if it's for me or someone else, one of them even asked me if I/the doctor was sure it was type 2! When I re-registered at my home doctors after being at university and went for the first appointment there to get a repeat prescription, I said I'd been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, the doctor said 'really!?' and told me to come back later in the day when he'd read my notes!
So I'm assuming it's not that common at this age, as it seems to suprise chemists and doctors so much!

bex

Well i saw my dr today and she said i need a fasting blood test to see whats going on.
I go to the receptionist and ask for a fasting blood test appointment and get told there is no appointments for two weeks, so have to wait til the 29th. At least its getting looked into though!

kipper

That is a long time to wait. I had symtoms very similar to yours, they gradually got worse over a 3 week period. It was my blurred vision and constantly getting up during the night to go to the toilet that made me go to the doctors.

I'm suprised that the doctors didn't have the facilities to do a finger prick test there and then.

If I was you I would want to know ASAP. As stated previously, Lloyds pharmacy and some Boots do blood glucose tests. Or if you know someone who is diabetic you could check your levels on their monitor.

sandymaynard

Hi Bex
If i was you i would go back and see another doctor and get a blood fasting test! I would do it straight away!
If not if you go into Lloyds they will do a free glucose test for you! And then refer you to the doctor!