Getting annoyed with friends and family.

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This will probably end up being a bit of a ranting post, but does anyone else get really annoyed with friends and family?
I have a friend who I ended up getting very angry with last night, she was adamant that my vegetarianism actively caused my diabetes. I tried to explain that it was an auto-immune disease and that being a vegetarian might have actually delayed its onset. She just started laughing at me saying that nobody else in my family has diabetes and that it was funny that I am the only vegetarian in my family. It was ridiculous! I was absolutely stunned by her stupidity and complete unwillingness to even listen to facts.

My mother keeps coming out with nuggets of advice too and she has no idea what she is talking about, from saying things like 'My friend has diabetes and she needs to eat chicken.' to saying things like, 'just have a slice of cake it won't kill you!' I am flabbergasted at peoples complete and utter ignorance towards my condition and when I try to even educate them just a little they just shake their heads as if I don't know what I am talking about!

I am off work because my concentration is all over the place. I was so tired all the time, I would often go for naps in the afternoon. My brother basically said I was work shy and that I was lazy!

I am surrounded by absolute morons! People have no idea what I feel like or what I am actually going through. It is actually frightening!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Oh, no wonder you are feeling angry with your friend and family. As you say, morons.:arghh: poor you :(

You could tell them to bog off as they know nothing about diabetes and are talking drivel. Or tell them you are under doctors orders because any crass comments are extremely dangerous to your health and not because you are a vegetarian, which could cause a knee jerk reaction............... right where it hurts.

'It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.':angelic:

Good luck and all the best

RRB :)

Reactions: 2 people

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello Everycloud, yes people are so stunted in their understanding of this condition, and yes I would be angry if I got that response.

Being a vegetarian is your choice, and people don't see it that way. You must be very skilful at balancing your needs to your condition, which keeps you well.

Your mother is right some ordinary folk who eat meat, do have chicken, as it keeps them full, and does not increase the blood sugar, protein takes longer to be broken down, so don't be cross with your mum, she is a bit right.

Your brother is just being typical stirring the pot, your off sick as your doctor says you need the rest, and being a diabetic you cannot be lazy, you have to be on the ball with this condition.

I think you need to get some hand out booklets about the condition and what to eat, and such.
Education is needed on a major scale before the year gets much older, for your own sanity.
Morons exist due not having read the right information, see line above.

So Everycloud,be calm and patience is a virtue, you are entitled to have a rant, for now ttfn, Karen

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I would say (well knowing that this is sometimes difficult) – let it go. They probably mean the best. But it is your life. You know that what you are doing will be for he best of you.

My old mother will always tell me: oh, a piece of cake or chocolates will do you no harm. I am OK with her (94), and when I tell her again and again that I am diabetic, she will say: sorry, I forgot.

However, I am not as accomodating with other persons who know that I am diabetic (have told them – they know nothing about this). But I will take an occasional very thin piece of birthcake on select occasions.

My best advice would be to very carefully pick your fights – and let the comments from ignorant persons roll over you as 'water on a goose' (Danish saying).

annelise

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I didn't know anything about diabetes even when I first had it, so it's not surprising other people are clueless, especially with the dismal misinformation programme from the NHS and media prejudice. Even the woman who ran the DESMOND course I went on said many doctors don't know the difference between Types 1 and 2.
So I guess we all understand your frustration and hope you're feeling a bit more chipper soon, better able to ride the slings & arrows. Just concentrate on getting your life back on track. Maybe you could get away briefly for some peace and quiet?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@EveryCloud Your Mum is your Mum, Your Brother is your Brother however your friend is not your friend.
I am very lucky to be on a vegan controlled diet, but the lucky part is my friends. They support what I am doing and never throw nasty digs etc; at me.
You have chosen to be what you are. your friend (if true friend ) will come and say sorry and grow up to simple facts.
I like your brother because he is normal.
You're correct it is a bit of a rant, because your the best. Ask your if you don't believe me.:)

Meant to say "Ask your Mother if you don't believe me":):)

Last edited by a moderator:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This will probably end up being a bit of a ranting post, but does anyone else get really annoyed with friends and family?

This is the ideal place to have a rant and let off steam, because many of us here know exactly how you feel. Sometimes I think we are all "wearing the same shoes"!

So rant away any time you want, and we'll offer buckets full of support and sympathy.

Robbity

EveryCloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You guys are the best. I honestly don't know what I would do without you all! :D

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I remember reading recently that @Brunneria has a wonderful riposte prepared for these type of comments. Something along the lines that its little wonder there is a diabetes epidemic while there is such ignorance about the condition....:p

I hope she'll remind us of it

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I remember reading recently that @Brunneria has a wonderful riposte prepared for these type of comments. Something along the lines that its little wonder there is a diabetes epidemic while there is such ignorance about the condition....:p

I hope she'll remind us of it

:D

'No wonder we have a diabetes epidemic in this country if that's the advice they are handing out!'

Reactions: 3 people