In Denial...?

Have not been on here for a while, but its interesting reading the recent stories about other halves not understanding when you have diabetes; as I have the opposite problem with Type 2 hubby in denial again I think.

Bit of background - hubby was diagnose 10 years ago, at 35. His Dad has had it since about the same age, as did his grandad. At the start he was very good. Although not on a LCHF diet, (like his dad) he did control well with diet, and Metformin. Tested regularly. Then about 3 or 4 years ago, doc said testing should stop. Type 2's don't need it; and took the tester strips etc off his prescription. Almost over night he went down hill. Starting to eat what he liked, and because he wasn't testing his Hba1c went up. Then about 2 years ago, something 'clicked'. (It was after the doc upped his Metformin.) Asked if he could get tester strips again. Went on the Newcastle diet. Lost about 2 stone. (He wasn't excessively overweight, so losing the 2 stone brought him to a BMI of about 23-24 I think.) Sugar levels were good, and he was testing again. Towards the end of last year though, he fell off the wagon AGAIN. Stopped testing. Didn't go to his diabetes check-ups. Ate really badly. Had flu over last xmas, so had no option but to see the doc, who took his Hba1c, and was called back to the surgery, as it was something like 115. They put him on Gliclazide. So again he tried to eat better, exercise, tested a little, and in July Hba1c was down to 68 or thereabouts. Doc said keep at it, as that was a good drop. But yet again, he is not controlling it. Did not test at all from July until about 2 or 3 weeks back. When he did start the numbers where very high. Mid teens most of the time. 21 one day 2 hours after lunch. He did go for a fast 20 min walk that day, and it came down to 12.
He's back testing 'when he remembers', exercises 'when he's not too tired' and I am trying to give him low carbs, but he just doesn't seem to see, or care what he is doing to his body. If I try and talk to him, he just gets in a huff and storms out of the room. I don't have sweet things or unhealthy snacks in the house, but then he moans there is nothing 'nice' to eat, and stops at the supermarket on the way home from work to buy junk.
Christmas fills me with dread, with all those temptations of 'naughty' foods.

So as opposed to having an other half that doesn't seem to care or understand about you having diabetes; I have a diabetic husband who doesn't control, but whos wife does care!!!

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome back to the forum.

Unfortunately what you describe is not untypical, there are many cases of people who just grow tired of looking after their diabetes suffering a diabetic burnout.

Our disease is an illness of the pancreas but in fighting it, it is our mind that plays the most important role.

You correctly identified the vital role of testing in keeping him focused on the task at hand. Particularly if one tests before and after each meal, one gets immediate feedback on the consequences of one's choices, which are hard to ignore. Hba1c testing is too infrequent to have a similar effect.

You may need to sit down with him and have a frank conversation about how you both feel about his diabetes. Try to get him to do most of the talking. Let him tell you about how he feels. Try not to make accusations or pressure him but promise your support.

Would he consider joining a forum such as this? Having the chance to communicate with other diabetics, not his father, may help him get his motivation back.

On a practical note there are a lot of recipes in the low Carb section of this forum, that you could try to make sure that there are delicious healthy options available to him.

To be honest he needs to go back to basics, look at what worked from him in the past and try to put it back in practice again.

But he will need to give himself small manageable targets that will keep him motivated and lead him down the road to better glycemic control.

All the best

Pavlos

@jack412 perhaps you could post some of your links on diabetic burnout or counseling for the benefit of the OP

C

catherinecherub

Hi @HereWeAreAgain,

This is one of the links that @pavlosn is referring to and you may find it applicable to your OH.

http://www.diabetesexplained.com/diabetic-burnout.html

I cannot speak for everyone but you say it is 10 years on since diagnosis.
Most of us in the early days learn as much as we can about management and surprise our selves when we eventually gain control. Some use medication and some insulin but there is a common theme of wanting to get this condition under control.

As time passes we get fed up with the constraints we have to endure with planning menus, doctor's appointments and taking readings that some days seem to have no rhyme or reason behind them. Some overcome this feeling but for others it seems to be something that they let go of, they are worn out by it all. If you read through the forums you will see examples of newly diagnosed being so happy to see improvements, people who have given up, others who plod along and accept that not every day is going to be perfect and perfectionists who worry about a small increase in their blood sugars. We are quite a "melting pot" here. We all have one thing in common, this chronic condition that either drives us or tries to destroy us depending how we react to it.

You cannot see Type 2 diabetes unlike a plaster on a broken leg, it is a chronic condition that never lets up, a bit like a duck looking calm on the surface of the pond but underneath his legs are moving like mad. Some people call it a beast that has to be tamed. It is difficult for others who are non diabetic to understand and although partners, friends and family know that we have it and help as much as they can they are unaware of the daily struggles going on. Even if we do not voice them they are there.

I am into my 12th year and occasionally I get that feeling that I have had enough of this and may try and tempt fate by throwing caution to the wind and have a blow out. It tastes nice at the time but I have to get back on the wagon because I know that if I carry on like this that there will be consequences. bu.t how you get through to other people who have decided that enough is enough is difficult.

Try and get him to read the article and see if you can discuss it together. He may not want to read the forum so you could always print it off and leave it where he can see it.

I hope this helps you to understand where he may be at the moment.

CC.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Have not been on here for a while, but its interesting reading the recent stories about other halves not understanding when you have diabetes; as I have the opposite problem with Type 2 hubby in denial again I think.

Bit of background - hubby was diagnose 10 years ago, at 35. His Dad has had it since about the same age, as did his grandad. At the start he was very good. Although not on a LCHF diet, (like his dad) he did control well with diet, and Metformin. Tested regularly. Then about 3 or 4 years ago, doc said testing should stop. Type 2's don't need it; and took the tester strips etc off his prescription. Almost over night he went down hill. Starting to eat what he liked, and because he wasn't testing his Hba1c went up. Then about 2 years ago, something 'clicked'. (It was after the doc upped his Metformin.) Asked if he could get tester strips again. Went on the Newcastle diet. Lost about 2 stone. (He wasn't excessively overweight, so losing the 2 stone brought him to a BMI of about 23-24 I think.) Sugar levels were good, and he was testing again. Towards the end of last year though, he fell off the wagon AGAIN. Stopped testing. Didn't go to his diabetes check-ups. Ate really badly. Had flu over last xmas, so had no option but to see the doc, who took his Hba1c, and was called back to the surgery, as it was something like 115. They put him on Gliclazide. So again he tried to eat better, exercise, tested a little, and in July Hba1c was down to 68 or thereabouts. Doc said keep at it, as that was a good drop. But yet again, he is not controlling it. Did not test at all from July until about 2 or 3 weeks back. When he did start the numbers where very high. Mid teens most of the time. 21 one day 2 hours after lunch. He did go for a fast 20 min walk that day, and it came down to 12.
He's back testing 'when he remembers', exercises 'when he's not too tired' and I am trying to give him low carbs, but he just doesn't seem to see, or care what he is doing to his body. If I try and talk to him, he just gets in a huff and storms out of the room. I don't have sweet things or unhealthy snacks in the house, but then he moans there is nothing 'nice' to eat, and stops at the supermarket on the way home from work to buy junk.
Christmas fills me with dread, with all those temptations of 'naughty' foods.

So as opposed to having an other half that doesn't seem to care or understand about you having diabetes; I have a diabetic husband who doesn't control, but whos wife does care!!!

Hi, you do have my sympathy, seen it a few times on here :eek: As It would appear to be mainly males and the poor other half, is concerned and worried and trying to keep an eye on them.:( :angelic:

I wish you all the best and please make sure you take care of your self.

RRB:)

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Welcome to the forum,I do hope your current situation improves.
Take care.

Thanks for the kind words and links. Reading about the 'Burnout' was very interesting - that's him for sure.
He won't come onto the forum. Very much the British 'stiff upper lip' brigade. (And a typical man, if I may say!)

I will try and talk to him over the Christmas period, when he has time off work, and may be a bit more relaxed, and responsive to a conversation.
I'm sure he knows what he is doing is bad. He will get nagged by his doctors surgery after xmas to go for his bloods, so that may prompt him into action again.

I did win a small battle today - he always insists I get 'low fat' stuff, and I have slowly over the last 6 months been trying to bring him round to the lower carb, higher fat way. I got him some full fat greek yogurt to go with his fruit, and he said this morning it tasted soo much better than the 0% fat one!!:joyful:

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Be wary of increasing fats if he isn't reducing carbs.
It can do more harm than good.

Does he have any complications yet?
There seems to be a pattern of clamping down strictly on diagnosis, followed by a gentle slide back to old habits. And as long as we 'get away' with it, and continue to do so, the motivation for deprivation gets less and less. It's perfectly natural - and classic human nature.

But eventually our chickens come home to roost, whether that be increased medication, raised blood glucose, retinopathy or foot problems.

I suspect that is a huge trigger to get back on the wagon.

One thing, when you have that chat with him, over his Christmas break, please understand that this is the worst time possible to suggest someone practices restraint. If someone brought the subject up with me after a few days of Xmas nosh, my reaction would probably be an unpleasant combo of guilt, embarrassment, denial, anger and resentment.

Unless you waited until 1st Jan, of course!

Reactions: 2 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a review with my DN on the 30th. I'm worried because I'm in the normal range now. My worry is that testing will be annual from now on but I would prefer 6 monthly. I don't want to be viewed as normal. I certainly don't feel normal. My body is more sensitive than it used to be and it lets me know when I need some carbs. I can't help wondering if the 50-90 carbs per day has kept BG levels artificially low. I'm not very scientific... Just worried about not having any support in the future. Xxx