Family gathering lots of food i havnt prepared !!!

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
~This is my first time negotiating a buffet nightmare,how polite do you have to be lol ??

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Treat people as you would want to be treated yourself, if they are a pain show them the door :D

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Explain calmly (if you haven't already) what you diet is and why, and say you can't eat things like sandwiches, pastries, cakes etc but that you can eat meats, veg, cheese etc. If they don't or won't cooperate then you have to do things like scrape fillings off sandwiches. Not knowing your family that is what I would do, but you will know how 'polite' you have to be about it.

I hope it goes well, please report back!

Reactions: 4 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Surely a buffet means lots of food choices from which you can make your own selection, without having to explain or justify yourself to anyone.

I suspect there is something I am missing here. Is it bad manners not to try something?

G

graj0

~This is my first time negotiating a buffet nightmare,how polite do you have to be lol ??
I don't think it's a question of politeness, I wouldn't offer a drink to an alcoholic who had changed their ways. Why should anyone expect you to eat something that's going to make you ill?

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Buffets can be a nightmare if virtually everything is pastry- or wheat-based in some way. You need mix'n'match options like meat (unless you're vege), plain cheeses, olives, nuts, and of course salad with (hopefully) full fat mayo. A couple of new potatoes might be ok and the odd cocktail sausage in with everything else.
A bit of a dance afterwards would be good. Any chance of a disco?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would eat beforehand so you aren't hungry. Then you can just pick and choose the better options and maybe no-one will notice.

Reactions: 9 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've got some family around tonight and have been busy cooking chicken pieces, 98% meat cocktail sausages and sausage rolls. I've also got cheese and salads etc and plain bread rolls and other cooked meats so that I can have a good selection but my relatives can have their carb fix. The only problem is deserts - they like fruit salad and pavlova which I've also made. The pavlova doesn't worry me but as a former 'fruit bat" i may have a little with loads of double cream!! My brother in law is also type 2 but doesn't count carbs etc but at least he'll have the opportunity to eat healthily tonight!

Reactions: 8 people
A

AnnieC

I went to my son-in-laws 50th birthday party a couple of weeks ago decided I would eat what I wanted...minus of course the sugar stuff.. and not worry for one night about having a few more carbs than usual but I didn't go mad just had the carby things in moderation and more of the chicken and cheeses I took the pastry off the sausage rolls but there was samosas that I couldn't resisit Life is to short not to allow yourself some treats on special occasions

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Surely a buffet means lots of food choices from which you can make your own selection, without having to explain or justify yourself to anyone.

I suspect there is something I am missing here. Is it bad manners not to try something?

Your are missing nothing, your comment is of course exactly the point, which I overlooked lol thank you.:)

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't think it's a question of politeness, I wouldn't offer a drink to an alcoholic who had changed their ways. Why should anyone expect you to eat something that's going to make you ill?

So true also, just about being comfortable with the new lifestyle. thank you for your comment.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Growing a thicker skin is probably a vital adaptation for us diabetics.

I am at the point that I just smile politely and change the subject when some friend or relative tries to point out the error of my ways when it comes to dietary choices.

Knowing that I managed to lose 15kg in three months and, more importantly, maintain my glucose at non diabetic levels, on my current way of eating, gives me the confidence to just ignore such comments.

Life is too short to take everything to heart.

Reactions: 8 people

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Growing a thicker skin is probably a vital adaptation for us diabetics.

I am at the point that I just smile politely and change the subject when some friend or relative tries to point out the error of my ways when it comes to dietary choices.

Knowing that I managed to lose 15kg in three months and, more importantly, maintain my glucose at non diabetic levels, on my current way of eating, gives me the confidence to just ignore such comments.

Life is too short to take everything to heart.

Sound advice, will start growing the thick skin asap. Thank you for your thoughts they do resonate with me, much appreciated.

Reactions: 3 people

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
@neverforever, I have become quite an expert at inconspiciously shovelling food around my plate - in bigger buffet gatherings it is my experience that others rarely pay much attention to what you are eating anyway ... - This strategy will of course presuppose that you have made sure to not be ravenously hungry when the buffet starts ...

annelise

neverforever

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@neverforever, I have become quite an expert at inconspiciously shovelling food around my plate - in bigger buffet gatherings it is my experience that others rarely pay much attention to what you are eating anyway ... - This strategy will of course presuppose that you have made sure to not be ravenously hungry when the buffet starts ...

annelise

This is very true I had forgotten for a moment that because im so focused, others of course are not. They are just having something to eat lol. Thank you.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my experience, nobody questions things we do, when we do it with confidence and our heads held high. The questions arise when one's body language is that of discomfort and embarrassment; which in turn makes others feel uncomfortable, and they enquire, mainly to ease their own discomfort.

Mainly others aren't bothered what anyone else eats.

The few times I have been asked, I have responded that I have found I'm not dealing with carbs very well these days, so I'm leaving them alone, for now. Of course, "for now" could just as easily be "forever".

;)

Reactions: 9 people

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Am going to visit two ladies in their mid 80s tomorrow (my friend's sister and her friend).
I know they will have gone to a lot of trouble to give us a little buffet lunch. It will be ham or egg sandwiches, crisps, sausage rolls and perhaps a little salad followed by mince pies and little Waitrose cakes.
And do you know what, I'll go for the salad, eat whatever else I choose slowly and hope they know we've really appreciated the effort they've gone to.
And I'll try to go on a brisk half hour walk before we go - you never know, it may help too!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Am going to visit two ladies in their mid 80s tomorrow (my friend's sister and her friend).
I know they will have gone to a lot of trouble to give us a little buffet lunch. It will be ham or egg sandwiches, crisps, sausage rolls and perhaps a little salad followed by mince pies and little Waitrose cakes.
And do you know what, I'll go for the salad, eat whatever else I choose slowly and hope they know we've really appreciated the effort they've gone to.
And I'll try to go on a brisk half hour walk before we go - you never know, it may help too!

Slip the odd sausage roll or cake in your pocket so they will think you've eaten it. ;)