looking for teaching aides

matt_the_fat

Hello I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me out. I'm a support worker for a man with a profound learning disability and type 2 diabetes. i have been trying to find some information (pamphlets) that i can use to help explain to him what the implications might be if he continues to eat high sugar foods. the type of things i would need would have need to very simple possibly aimed at children. hope someone can point me in the right direction thanks. Matt

Grumpy

Contact your local diabetes education group; the class I've just finished (YES!!!!!) would have been PERFECT for someone with learning disbilities. I was bored rigid and vaguely insulted at the visual aids employed (for instance, a plastic apple and pear to demonstrate 'apple' and 'pear' shaped people...how stupid do they think we are??? :shock: ) but they would be fantastic for the needs of your client. There were others to show the flow of blood cells through 'sticky' and 'normal' blood, and to show the effects of various factors (weight, smoking, etc) on blood vessels. Give it a try...