Any thoughts would be good!

rbadgio

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been on the insulin pump for nearly a year now, to begin with control was excellent, but over the last few months I've been having loads of hypos. I've lost quite a lot of weight and wondered if that had something to do with it? was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar?

Some feedback would be marvellous

:)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I've been on the insulin pump for nearly a year now, to begin with control was excellent, but over the last few months I've been having loads of hypos. I've lost quite a lot of weight and wondered if that had something to do with it? was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar?

Some feedback would be marvellous

:)
Have you done any basic basal testing?
Is the weight loss intentional? Weight loss will cause lower blood sugars hence why you need to redo your basals. If weight loss isn't intentional then you need to go see your GP.

rbadgio

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I've been trying to fast to test my basal rates, but keep having hypos so have to eat! I've reduced them a little, think I may need to do more. I haven't intentionally been trying to lose weight,but since being on the pump I've been watching what I eat a lot and not eating as much, I've stopped eating things like bread and crisps and avoided take away as they always send my sugars sky high, especially chinese, which is a shame because I love chinese food... anyway I digress.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Again, do you have the book pumping insulin by John walsh (amazon) If not best investment you will ever make.
Simple solution to not being able to test due to hypos, is reduce your basal for a few days then work from that new baseline :) If you are hypo at 10 AM then reduce basal for 8 AM and so on then give a go at basal testing.
I can't help regarding take away's as have never eaten them but I'm sure another pumper could help regarding the way to bolus for meals like that. :)

rbadgio

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Again, do you have the book pumping insulin by John walsh (amazon) If not best investment you will ever make.
Simple solution to not being able to test due to hypos, is reduce your basal for a few days then work from that new baseline :) If you are hypo at 10 AM then reduce basal for 8 AM and so on then give a go at basal testing.
I can't help regarding take away's as have never eaten them but I'm sure another pumper could help regarding the way to bolus for meals like that. :)
That's great thanks, I'll have a look. Re take aways, I think my life is better without them :)

Reactions: 3 people

PepperTed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basal dosages are closely correlated to weight. As your weight comes down, you will need less basal insulin. You might also become more sensitive to insulin, meaning you can have smaller correction doses to achieve the same result. One or both of these factors will be contributing to all these hypos.

You probably need to reduce all your basals by a certain % to get the hypos under control, and then start fasting basal tests to establish what your new dosage needs are. If I were you, I'd talk to your diabetes nurse / consultant (whoever worked with you to set up the pump) and ask them about it.