GlucoRx Finepoint needles?

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Got a letter this morning from my GP telling me that my BD Micro Fine 4mm needles will be changed to GlucoRx Finepoint 4mm needles. I have always been on the BD Micro Fine needles and was quite happy with them. Has anyone else been moved to these new needles? And if so what are they like? I don't want to change to needles that aren't as good as the ones I currently have.

Reactions: 2 people

janeliz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Shopping, smoking
Hi Nicloa, I was put on the GlucoRX 5mm finepoint needles. Like you said because the GP Surgery subcribe to this brand. I have had one bad box. That is to say that the needles were all slightly bent. I found the injections painful when I started the new box of needles and when I looked closely they needle was bent. I showed my diabetic nurse who agreed with me. She told me to report it to the pharmacist and give them to him to send back to the company. The pharmacist wasn't interested and told me to dispose of the needles. I still get the problem, although not every needle is bent!! Try them and see.

johnmtp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I was moved over to GlucoRX, and like janeliz, i found bent needles and in general they felt like low quality.
I complained and was immediately but back on the BD needles.
My Diabetes Nurse told me that she had had a patient have one of the GlucoRX needles snap off in their leg!!!.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too was moved over to these from BD needles.
My experience has also been that the quality is really quite spotty and I have raised this with the practice nurse at my GP who more or less shrugged and said it was all part of "cost savings"

I tend to inspect the needles a little more closely than I did with the BD and I probably bin half a dozen per box (on average) because they are bent or have something else up that I am not happy with.
The biggest issue I have run into is that the caps don't always seem to attach very well so I have had used needles lose their safety caps resulting in me getting stabbed by used needles in pockets which is not exactly fun.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Doesn't seem like these needles will be good from what you guys are saying. I will try them to see but if they aren't good I will defiantly be complaining!

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I used these needles for a fortnight and was bruised from bust to kneecaps, as they bent on insertion and squirted insulin all over the place, I was using on average at least 2 per injection instead of 1 per day, when I told my gp and showed the bruising he immediately put me back onto the novo fine needles I had been using, rarely bruise with these.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got a letter this morning from my GP telling me that my BD Micro Fine 4mm needles will be changed to GlucoRx Finepoint 4mm needles. I have always been on the BD Micro Fine needles and was quite happy with them. Has anyone else been moved to these new needles? And if so what are they like? I don't want to change to needles that aren't as good as the ones I currently have.
well im also using BDmicrefine 4mm needles never had any problems getting them from my gp last time i received them . maybe the its the cost.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well im also using BDmicrefine 4mm needles never had any problems getting them from my gp last time i received them . maybe the its the cost.

In the letter it does say something about cost and that they are trying to achieve value for money so are going to prescribe specific brands of needles :( mine is obviously more expensive.

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too was changed from the BD microfines to these needles, I wasnt even told by my doctors but by the pharmacist when i went to reorder, I haven't noticed and difference in them yet and I am on my second box. I will probably notice lots now though

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like this might be a nationwide change! I haven't had to re-order recently but will be very disappointed if they've switched me from the BD MicroFine as I find them really comfortable to use (well, it's still a needle, but you know what I mean!...). It's a shame that they are cost-cutting over something like this.

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I wasn't told at all about the change. First I knew was when I picked up the prescription and noticed the box was different.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I bruised badly too and was allowed to switch back. About half the price of the BD ones, hence they are now the chosen formulary needle in many practices.

Ali

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They tried it around here too. Our diabetic team told us. They write to our GPs if the prescription changes to get it changed back to BD. They said the cheaper ones are rubbish

DiabeticCat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have literally just been changed over to these >.> like other people I received non notice and only found out today upon picking up my prescription! :mad: and honestly not feeling very positive about using these with the reviews I've found :( especially as I already bruise quite easily using the BD needles & haven't been diabetic for very long so i'm still learning :banghead:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha!!! We have been having awful problems with these needles and just thought to google 'Anyone having problems with GlucoRx FinePoint needles?' and found this thread. What a surprise NOT! These needles are cheap rubbish and I can say this with only limited experience as my 12 yr old son was diagnosed just six weeks ago. We first had BD needles, brill, no broblems...then suddenly have these needles prescribed by our GP practice. Loads of these Gluco Rx have bent on entering skin, ripped skin, and refused to inject, resulting in multiple injections. Right I am on to the chemist and GP in the morning! Not happy!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
been on them awhile, they are not as good as the BD ones but so far have not had a real problem with them apart from the feel a tad rough going in and coming out

M

mammamia2006

I have recently changed from BD to another sort (my own choice) so if any of you use 8mm BD, I have around 10 boxes sitting doing nothing.

jakejayeden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I have found them to be a terrrible brand of needles. In my thread here: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/****-nhs-cutback-needles-glucorx.80230/ .
If anyone knows how to make clear gellatine, I would love to do a few experiments with them.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering do people change their needle after each injection or do they leave it on for the whole day ?

Jestred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change mine eveytime, with the lancets i tend to string out to a couple of times

Reactions: 2 people