Hba1c reading massively reduced!

suggs108

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Hi . I was diagnosed with the type 2 in October 2014 and my reading was 65. (?). The doc told me that it would be great if I could reduce this down to about 60. Since then.I've been self monitoring. Leaving the car and walking everywhere and lost a bit weight. ( 1st). I went for my blood test and the doc said she had seen nothing like it before?! 22!!!. I really don't believe these hba1c tests. I still drink beer. I still eat sweets??? OK not as many, but I haven't changed a lot.
The GP went in to see another GP and it was decided to take another reading in march 15. If it's similar, they are gonna take me off my 1 x Metformin tablet. I'm no athlete. I just can't get my head round it? Help! Lol

Reactions: 6 people

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
22 seems low to me that gives you and average bs reading of somewhere around 3.6
what sort of readings are you getting on your meter

Sancho panza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
if im doing this right my Hb1ac of 46 gives an average of somewhere around 7.5
by my reckoning if you are average is around 7 you should see an Hb1ac in the region of 42

hopefully someone more Knowledgable will be able to say better

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi . I was diagnosed with the type 2 in October 2014 and my reading was 65. (?). The doc told me that it would be great if I could reduce this down to about 60. Since then.I've been self monitoring. Leaving the car and walking everywhere and lost a bit weight. ( 1st). I went for my blood test and the doc said she had seen nothing like it before?! 22!!!. I really don't believe these hba1c tests. I still drink beer. I still eat sweets??? OK not as many, but I haven't changed a lot.
The GP went in to see another GP and it was decided to take another reading in march 15. If it's similar, they are gonna take me off my 1 x Metformin tablet. I'm no athlete. I just can't get my head round it? Help! Lol

It is possible to achieve significant HbA1c changes in relatively short time frames, as. In fact I managed myself (details in my signature), but most usually there has been a concerted effort of lifestyle changes - reducing overall carbs, increasing activity and losing weight.

Professor Taylor talks much about "personal fat thresholds", relating to fat in and around the international organs, which can have a negative effec on our bodies abilities to manage glucose. If you haven't read his work already, I'd recommend it from an educational standpoint alone.

Where subjects breach their "personal fat threshold", their ability to metabolise glucose can change dramatically. Nobody know hat that threshold is, as it,.... Well,....... personal, to the individual. Unless you have been really unlucky/lucky to have breached it both ways, in quick succession, I might be inclined to query one, other or both HbA1cs you are discussing here. Indeed, I would have requested an immediate re-run of this most recent one, as it appears at the very lower edge of what a non-diabetic person might return. From memory, some scales suggest that for persons returning scores of less than 30, should be investigated for hypoglycaemia, which they might or might not feel in their day to day activity.

I really do hope you have achieved a seismically healthy shift and can maintain it for the foreseeable future. It would be a great result, but personally, I might like to understand, from the medics what they believe has occurred to make the changes.

From Professor Taylor's standpoint, he believes those who downwardlt breach their personal fat thresholds and achieve normo-glyccaemia levels, there is some hope/confidence they can continue that way - provided they do not regain their weight. In your shoes, that's rather a tight window. If this is indeed a correct result, I might consider whether I could lose a little more weight to give myself an increased window for periodic weight gain/loss most people find happens over time. Of course that would depend on your own feelings, BMI and future aspirations.

Good luck!

sjm1966

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other

I had a similar, if not quite as dramatic, drop in my levels. My Hba1C test on diagnosis in August 2014 was 102, was down to 86 in October 2014 and my most recent result was 39 last week. I have been on Metformin 2x500mg twice a day (top of the shop) and this will be reviewed after a fasting Hba1c in May. In that time I've lost just over a stone and a half in weight ( now a svelte 12 stone and 1 pound) having weighed in at about 16 stone 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure that the weight loss has been a major factor in my improved levels along with a fairly Heath Robinson approach to LCHF that somehow dovetails with family life!

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is an astonishing shift. I hope your second test backs up the first!

suggs108

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Just had my second hba1c test ......33? Doc says my liver count is up . 50 and should be 20 ? Some sort of test he did on me. Told me to stop drinking alcohol and stop taking my Metformin. Have to go for blood tests tomorrow to find out what's wrong? Any ideas anyone?

suggs108

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
I asked my doc if I was definitely diabetic....he replied Yes? Strange low readings that have baffled the doctors

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some medical conditions that interfere with the accuracy of the A1c test. With such a wide discrepancy between your meter reading and the A1c, it sounds like something else is going on. Ask to have a fructosamine test instead of the A1c.

My A1c was its very lowest at the same time as I had very low iron levels. I'd also be asking for anemia testing (ferritin, B12, folate, etc). For me the low iron was caused by bleeding gastritis as a result of taking metformin. The A1c also bore no relation to the readings I was getting on my meter at the time.

http://chriskresser.com/why-hemoglobin-a1c-is-not-a-reliable-marker/
http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/fructosamine/tab/test/

Reactions: 2 people