Why sometimes does my glucose increase after aerobics activities?

vituaugusto94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This week, I forgot the day, I went run and my glucouse up from 188 to 315, today I went run again, but using another method(HIIT), and the glucouse up from 157 to 188, i don't understand this :(
Do you know why? This doesn't happen ever, it's just sometimes.

Thanks!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This week, I forgot the day, I went run and my glucouse up from 188 to 315, today I went run again, but using another method(HIIT), and the glucouse up from 157 to 188, i don't understand this :(
Do you know why? This doesn't happen ever, it's just sometimes.

Thanks!

The simple answer your liver has decided to give you more glucose and is known as a liver dump. It is making sure you have enough to do your exercise. Why does it only happens sometimes, not sure.

The dawn phenonemon is exactly the same as your body is preparing itself for the day.

Some of us older ones only walk, as long its a fairly long walk, then suffices enough for us to loose weight and be healthier.

vituaugusto94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The simple answer your liver has decided to give you more glucose and is known as a liver dump. It is making sure you have enough to do your exercise. Why does it only happens sometimes, not sure.

The dawn phenonemon is exactly the same as your body is preparing itself for the day.

Some of us older ones only walk, as long its a fairly long walk, then suffices enough for us to loose weight and be healthier.

Thanks for the answer. But, what can I do to doesn't my glucose increase anymore in my exercices?

lildanfen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a type 1 every time I go for a run I take between 2 and 5 units of novorapid before a run depending whether I do a 6mile or and 15mile and also dependant on my pre run BG levels and what I have consumed. When I compete I always tell the race organisers I am diabetic and the amount of insulin taken as it is a steroid.

But as previously mentioned your body does release glucogen into your blood stream and without extra insulin to allow it to be absorbed your sugars will be high.
It is similar to when you are stressed your adrenal glands release adrenalin that your body will use as fuel.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

vituaugusto94

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a type 1 every time I go for a run I take between 2 and 5 units of novorapid before a run depending whether I do a 6mile or and 15mile and also dependant on my pre run BG levels and what I have consumed. When I compete I always tell the race organisers I am diabetic and the amount of insulin taken as it is a steroid.

But as previously mentioned your body does release glucogen into your blood stream and without extra insulin to allow it to be absorbed your sugars will be high.
It is similar to when you are stressed your adrenal glands release adrenalin that your body will use as fuel.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thanks for the answer. But, when I go to the gym I always get hypoglycemia becouse I train very hard and when I go run sometimes I get hypoglycemia too(I always check my BG before(100~160). That's so crazy for me, it's like I can't control my diabetes and I have it since 10 years. ;s

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You go hypo because your glucose levels have dropped as you've used all you glucose in your blood. And are not producing enough to help your body. In other words you need food, to supplement the expenditure of energy.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Intensive exercise (anaerobic) tends to push blood glucose up. Aerobic exercise (less intense/longer duration) will generally make it fall.
There's a bit of trial and error involved, but personally I take extra insulin for intense sessions, which helps iron out the spikes a bit (though doesn't get rid of them completely).

If you haven't already, maybe refer to Team BG teambloodglucose.com - they have lots of really good info about how this stuff works and a great FB group with loads of really helpful and knowledgeable people!

Reactions: 2 people