Life expectancy type 1

mykey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey guys,

As someone who is newly diagnosed with type 1, the first thing that's really stung is the 'up to 20 years less' I've seen reported when it comes to life expectancy. Now I can't imagine the sting of that statistic gets reduced too drasticly as experience sets in, it's a shocking figure regardless of who you are.

However, statistics are what statistics are and we are all on our own individual journey, everyone is different, there actions are different aswell as there bodies and environment.

I'd like to think I'd be active enough in my blood glucose regulation that I can mimic the action of the a pancreas somewhat pretty well. I say this because so many other people do, so it's possible, highly possible, and that makes me a feel a little more at ease! I'll slip from time to time sure but I'm pretty confident in making this a good habit in my day to day life, it's being added to essential care list in my life, along side toilet, shower, teeth, sleeping, breathing and eating. Can anybody shed some light or have any interesting information or stories on the up to 20 years off of life expectancy notion. I know they('they' being the maker of statistics) have to accomodate for the lowest common denominator so perspectives can be skewed.

If I eat well, exercise, stay within a good margin of weight, aswell as all the normal things everybody should be doing anyway ontop of keeping my blood glucose levels in check. Would those figures implied by the statistics in your eyes be reduced considerably? I know everyone is unique and all kinds of complications can occur but I kind of don't want to believe everyone with type 1 diabetes has the firm risk of not making it past 50 if they're responsible about the whole thing?

Mike

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi Mike, my Uncle has had type 1 for 49 years and has just had his 80th Birthday. Next year we plan to throw a party as must be unusual to have 2 family members with 50 years of diabetes under their belt. I have just started year 50 :) The figures you quote are rather outdated :)

Reactions: 6 people

scoyyt57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I'm 58, in my 51st year of diabetes and showing no signs of shuffling off this mortal coil as yet :D

Reactions: 5 people

shaggy1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 40 and in my 27th year. I really wouldn't pay attention to life expectancy, you know that old saying about getting hit by a bus tomorrow?

The way I look at it, a 90 year old doesn't have a great life expectancy but I bet they don't wake up each morning thinking "this could be the day":)

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Mike, I was only reading about a chap last week who was presented with a medal for living with type 1 diabetes for 80 years , so nothing is impossible.

But tbh I'm not sure what the latest news is on life expectancy and I don't really care, the attitude and approach you have in your opening post will ensure that you have a good chance of living a full and active life. Best wishes and good luck.

Reactions: 6 people

mykey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice one, just what I needed to hear! Flippin' google eh ^^

Cheers for the kind words Noble ;)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe the prognosis for life expectancy has always been flawed, as well as being rather, outdated. A Century ago, prior to the synthesis of insulin, life expectancy wa certainly short. Very short. Since then, treatment and management has come a long long way ( apart from, in my own opinion, dietry advice for Type 1's which has taken a backward step, but I digress :rolleyes:;) )

The statistics for life expectancy were compiled with the inclusion of those people whose management was poor, not always through a fault of their own. In addition,people are living longer generally, and as has
already been mentioned, there is a growing number of people living with the condition for a very long time :)

Signy

Reactions: 4 people