Orlistat

bunty

I was wondering if anyone here has experience of this drug now it's off prescription?

The claims are that it doubles weight-loss when following a low fat diet but that it causes umm...problems in the bottom and toilet depts.

Incontinence and desperate dashes to the toilet, to be blunt!

Is this true or only the case if foods high in fat are eaten?

To avoid any unrest, perhaps we could keep comments on this thread only to Orlistat and not on the merits/demerits of high/low/GI diets, lol!

bunty

MrsPugwash

Hi Bunty
I've had several patients who have been prescribed Orlistat and all have had the well-publicised problems. The anecdotal evidence I've seen seems to be that although the problem is worse when eating fatty foods, a milder effect still happens in many cases where a low fat diet is being followed.

No matter what sort of diet you follow, it is also worth bearing in mind that drugs like Orlistat are something of a quick fix and don't help anyone learn healthier eating habits so when one stops taking the drug, very often the weight creeps back on.

Hope this helps

timewarp

Hi

I had terrible trouble with it. I tried it before I was diagnosed but got stomach cramps, frequent (very anti-social toilet trips :oops: ) actually a bit like taking Metformin :lol: and lost not an ounce!

It also interfered with other meds.

I agree tablets for diet are quick fixes, lifestyle change is more likely to keep off the weight

Good luck

bunty

I had vaguely toyed with the idea of trying Orlistat on a temporary basis until i lost the weight i regained this past six months.

I'd been doing really well on my low fat, reduced carbs diet and exercise until October last year.

Then, the constant aches and pains in my knees, hip and foot were diagnosed as arthritis and for a while i stopped exercising completely.

I also had a retina eye examination which showed, despite my good HbA1c results and general good control, that i had very mild background retinopathy, which requires no treatment other than monitoring.

This threw me into a phase where i hated the diabetes with a passion!

However, i got painkillers from the Dr and took up cycling - in fact i've joined a gang of friends and we've all entered the London Bikeathon in aid of Luekemia research. And i recently saw a podiatrist, who knows why my foot has been such agony and can help with the pain in my hip, too! Yayy!

So, i regained some weight and am only now trying to lose it again with any real determination. I saw the Orlistat and thought it might 'kick-start' me but then i read about some of the associated problems! I guess it's no wonder people lose weight if they eat it one minute only to flush it away a few minutes later! (Hope that wasnt too blunt, lol)

Oh, well, it's back to low fat, reduced carbs and plenty of exercise!

Thank you for your comments.

bunty

ma5on

Hi Bunty

I was prescribed this by my GP about 3 years ago (I only wanted to lose about a stone, so not sure why!).

However, like timewarp says, I didn't lose an ounce either. The side effects are so gross that you end up eating virtually no fat at all to avoid experiencing them. Problem with this is that a lot of nutritious foods contain fats - oily fish, dairy etc, so you end up replacing them with 'low fat' options like bread etc which in turn increases your carb intake, and then subsequently your insulin requirements (as a Type 1, anyway).

So, losing became more of a struggle and just maintaining my weight became a nightmare.

Think you're on the right lines with the exercise thing. I now go to the gym 3-4 times a week and am seeing big changes in my shape, and feel a lot fitter (apart from the odd hypo! :shock: )

I guess the hardest thing for me personally is trying not to let weight itself be the governing issue, and tablets like this only seem to emphasise the low-fat theories but fail to take into account individual requirements and suitable diets. Technically on Orlistat you could stuff your face with Jelly Babies and Haribo all day, and since they are fat free wouldn't experience the side effects. However, you'd end up in Intensive Care (and probably porkier too having consumed all tha carby sugar!!!)

Funny they don't tell you this..... :lol:

Hang in there Bunty!

ma5on x

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
Well i fair better with Orlistat,i followed the low fat diet and not getting any problems and i've lost 7 1/2 pounds in 7 weeks which my nurse said is just the right amount on Orlistat,the only problem i had was when i had a slice of my sons birthday cake and sat on the loo the next day.I think it also helps you learn to eat more healthy as you have to look on packets more for the fat amount,adding exercise help me and i found the Orlistat and exercise bought my bood sugars lower,there is a post on general chat forum called Orlistat,with mine and another ladies experience,shan x