Does a LCHF diet raise cholesterol levels?

Angelmum21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

Do you have the recipe for those brownies? They sound intriguing.
Yes I got the recipe from Sarah Wilson's I Quit Sugar book:
( I use Green and Black's 85% dark as I found using another well-known brand did not work nearly as well)

coconut oil, butter or ghee for greasing
I large or 1.5 small courgettes
i cup (225g) almond or any nut butter
I egg
A few drops of vanilla essence and if you have it a half teaspoon of protein powder
4 tablespoons of rice malt syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Quarter teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
100g dark 85% cocoa chocolate roughly chopped.

Preheat oven to 180C and grease a 23cm square brownie tin or whatever you have using the coconut oil, butter or ghee. Grate the courgettes into a large bowl, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour into the prepared brownie tin and bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin and then cut into 16 squares. NOTE: this recipe does contain quite a lot of intense shop bought chocolate which is why the serving sizes are so small.

I cannot eat it all at once, obviously, but I find a piece with a cup of tea fills a gap when I need it. I keep a few pieces in the fridge and the rest I freeze. xxxx

And just one word of caution - Sarah maintains that rice malt syrup does not spike blood glucose levels and it certainly does not do that for me but test yourself!!!

Hope you can enjoy these as much as I do.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I got the recipe from Sarah Wilson's I Quit Sugar book:
( I use Green and Black's 85% dark as I found using another well-known brand did not work nearly as well)

coconut oil, butter or ghee for greasing
I large or 1.5 small courgettes
i cup (225g) almond or any nut butter
I egg
A few drops of vanilla essence and if you have it a half teaspoon of protein powder
4 tablespoons of rice malt syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Quarter teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
100g dark 85% cocoa chocolate roughly chopped.

Preheat oven to 180C and grease a 23cm square brownie tin or whatever you have using the coconut oil, butter or ghee. Grate the courgettes into a large bowl, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Pour into the prepared brownie tin and bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool in the tin and then cut into 16 squares. NOTE: this recipe does contain quite a lot of intense shop bought chocolate which is why the serving sizes are so small.

I cannot eat it all at once, obviously, but I find a piece with a cup of tea fills a gap when I need it. I keep a few pieces in the fridge and the rest I freeze. xxxx

And just one word of caution - Sarah maintains that rice malt syrup does not spike blood glucose levels and it certainly does not do that for me but test yourself!!!

Hope you can enjoy these as much as I do.

Thank you!
I think the malt syrup deserves serious testing, ;)
but if necessary, I could sub with erythritol, and see what happens...

They sound/read exquisite!

Reactions: 2 people

Baruney

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, everyone now says that fat is good and necessary but you need to be sure you are eating the healthy fats and in moderation. Goods fats are extra virgin olive oil, ghee, butter and coconut oil, these should not raise your bad cholesterol. Make sure you eat a variety of low starch veg, it can really fill up your plate without adding loads of calories and gives lots of nutrients which are essential for overall health.
Not everyone is saying fats are good. On here yes but in the wider world the majority are stil anti fat and cal counting.

KathrynB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been doing the LCHF for about 18 months. My total cholesterol raised slightly to 4.2 BUT that was due to a raise in "good" (HDL) and the "bad"(LDL) and tricglycerides both dropped.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol went down, but it was not high to start with!