Feeling tired and run down

JUNE56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

I have had 2 Hb1a tests, one in October 2014 and then again in February this year. On both tests I scored 48 which i know is the cut off line for T2. When I got the results of the first test my GP said they would repeat the test and if the level hadn't fallen would look at prescribing meds. Now she is saying test again in 4 months and see if there is any change. In the mean time I'm left feeling continually exhausted and run down. Any advice please????

C

catherinecherub

Hi @JUNE56,

I see that in your other post you were given advice about diet changes. Have you implemented any of these?
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/newly-diagnosed.68494/

Tiredness is a common symptom at diagnosis and it will take a while for you to feel better but once you get the hang of managing, you will feel heaps better. Have you got a meter and test strips to see how your meals are affecting your blood sugars?

JUNE56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just told to eat healthily. I have a lot of other health issues, angina, sleep apnoea, depresssion, high BP & cholesterol, and asthma. Just think my GP is a bit tunnel visioned putting the tiredness down to the sleep apnoea and depression. I find exercising very difficult as some days I dont go out of the house at all. I'm also having symptoms....blurred vision and needing the loo loads.

JUNE56

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OOps sorry. I usually have all bran with fruit and milk for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and a low calorie ready meal for dinner with a fat free yoghurt. Believe me this is a huge improvement on the chocolate bars and crisps that I used to have. If I'm hungry I stick with fruit between meals. You are probably going to throw your hands up in horror. It is a huge achievement to be able to stop binge eating in the evenings.

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
I think you are eating to many Carbs still.
Remember Fruit, Bread and all bran are all carbs
I think if you reduce carbs your tiredness will reduce, as will your cravings for something to eat between meals ;)

Fi2000

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I am 42 this year, weigh 101kg.

I suffer from panic attacks, depression, hyperthyroidism, sleep apnea (use a CPAP machine), neuropathy pain in my legs from breaking them, constant thrush, itching and migraines.

I am not seeing the diabetes nurse till the 13th April. But from my fasting BG results, I am going to be diagnosed as type 2.

I was going to docs saying I feel like a zombie, my feet burn and feel painfully, I am always feeling exhausted for years.

The reply was it's the medication your taking.

But then I got diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Got told take medication an that will cure all your ails.

6 months later got diagnosed with sleep apnea. Got a CPAP machine, and again got told that will cure your ails.

So yes it made some difference, but still not happy about how tired, heavy foggy I felt.

So went an got a Blood test from GPS at the end of February 2015.

So after years of overeating and constant snacking an not enough fruit an veg, I thought right I am most likely to be diagnosed type 2, I'll start eating healthy starting 1st of March

So for the whole of March I ate brown rice/pasta, fruit an veg, cut down the fat, cut the calories to about 1200. I lost 3kg during March.

The last week of March I got a BG testing kit. I tested my BG levels an they were still high. I was thinking the whole of March I was eating "healthy" no sugar more fruit veg less fat, so why still the high levels.

I then found this forum, an read lots an lots of info leaving my head spinning. When it finally stop spinning my brain registered "lchf" might be the way to go.

So from the 1st of April I went lchf. I've lost another kg. Stopped snacking completely, felt fuller for longer, less itchy, more awake an alert, an just thus morning my husband said "nice to see a glint in your eyes again". And my BG levels have dropped, they are not perfect but they are a lot better.

So give the lchf diet a go. I'm glad I have.

(sorry for the long post)

Reactions: 4 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I am 42 this year, weigh 101kg.

I suffer from panic attacks, depression, hyperthyroidism, sleep apnea (use a CPAP machine), neuropathy pain in my legs from breaking them, constant thrush, itching and migraines.

I am not seeing the diabetes nurse till the 13th April. But from my fasting BG results, I am going to be diagnosed as type 2.

I was going to docs saying I feel like a zombie, my feet burn and feel painfully, I am always feeling exhausted for years.

The reply was it's the medication your taking.

But then I got diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. Got told take medication an that will cure all your ails.

6 months later got diagnosed with sleep apnea. Got a CPAP machine, and again got told that will cure your ails.

So yes it made some difference, but still not happy about how tired, heavy foggy I felt.

So went an got a Blood test from GPS at the end of February 2015.

So after years of overeating and constant snacking an not enough fruit an veg, I thought right I am most likely to be diagnosed type 2, I'll start eating healthy starting 1st of March

So for the whole of March I ate brown rice/pasta, fruit an veg, cut down the fat, cut the calories to about 1200. I lost 3kg during March.

The last week of March I got a BG testing kit. I tested my BG levels an they were still high. I was thinking the whole of March I was eating "healthy" no sugar more fruit veg less fat, so why still the high levels.

I then found this forum, an read lots an lots of info leaving my head spinning. When it finally stop spinning my brain registered "lchf" might be the way to go.

So from the 1st of April I went lchf. I've lost another kg. Stopped snacking completely, felt fuller for longer, less itchy, more awake an alert, an just thus morning my husband said "nice to see a glint in your eyes again". And my BG levels have dropped, they are not perfect but they are a lot better.

So give the lchf diet a go. I'm glad I have.

(sorry for the long post)

Great post Fi2000. very positive and full of optimism and the fighting spirit . Nothing motivates like a good results. Hope that you go from strength to strength, BRAVA.

Reactions: 6 people