Bombshell!

lindyp50

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, my beautiful grandson, aged seven, was diagnosed with type 1 on Thursday - and even writing that was hard. Obviously the family is reeling from shock and information overload! To be honest, if anyone had asked me a week ago what I knew about diabetes I would have said ' Well you have check your blood sugar levels and inject insulin if they are high! What an understatement eh? I had no idea it was such a 'game-changer'.

At the moment I am feeling desperately sorry for my grandson who, although I know it is early days, is not coping well with mum sticking needles in him countless times a day, and for my daughter who has to do those dreadful deeds! And, I'm ashamed to say, a little sorry for myself - mainly because I have no idea what to say or do or how to make it better.

C

catherinecherub

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Of course it is a shock and the whole family must be reeling but it can be managed well once you get the hang of it and children can lead a normal life rather than be thought of as an invalid.

There are plenty of people who have been where you are now and I know that @Robinredbreast has been through this with a family member who was diagnosed at a young age.

There will be plenty of replies for you but weekends are usually a bit quieter.

Reactions: 2 people

lindyp50

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Of course it is a shock and the whole family must be reeling but it can be managed well once you get the hang of it and children can lead a normal life rather than be thought of as an invalid.

There are plenty of people who have been where you are now and I know that @Robinredbreast has been through this with a family member who was diagnosed at a young age.

There will be plenty of replies for you but weekends are usually a bit quieter.

lindyp50

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you. Need to keep it together and try to be positive but today has not been a good day.

Moniker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is such a shock, but it will get easier. Learning more will help but it's okay to admit to being 'selfishly' upset. We want to give our children and grandchildren a perfect and easy life. It is hard to accept that we can't control it all.

lindyp50

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It is such a shock, but it will get easier. Learning more will help but it's okay to admit to being 'selfishly' upset. We want to give our children and grandchildren a perfect and easy life. It is hard to accept that we can't control it all.

lindyp50

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks, I was determined to find out as much as I could (better the devil you know). Maybe I'm reading the wrong stuff but it's not helping (the more I find out the less I know) if you see what I mean.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, my beautiful grandson, aged seven, was diagnosed with type 1 on Thursday - and even writing that was hard. Obviously the family is reeling from shock and information overload! To be honest, if anyone had asked me a week ago what I knew about diabetes I would have said ' Well you have check your blood sugar levels and inject insulin if they are high! What an understatement eh? I had no idea it was such a 'game-changer'.

At the moment I am feeling desperately sorry for my grandson who, although I know it is early days, is not coping well with mum sticking needles in him countless times a day, and for my daughter who has to do those dreadful deeds! And, I'm ashamed to say, a little sorry for myself - mainly because I have no idea what to say or do or how to make it better.

Hi Lindy sorry to hear of your grandsons diagnosis, I know actually how you feel. My granddaughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years, she was extremely ill and then she on the HDU at our hospital fighting for hrer life, lying there on the bed with a nappy on and tubes coming out of (what seemed like everywhere) and an oxygen mask on. I will never forget it and I blamed myself for not picking it up sooner, and I blamed myself because I am type 1 too. My granddaughter is now 6 and recovered well and leads a normal, healthy, happy life. It's shock, confusion, anger, disbelief that this could be happening to someone so young and someone you love so very much and you may feel helpless, it's a lot to take in, but in time it will get better, a little easier and not such a mountain to climb. Try and find out a little more about type 1 in children, they are tough little cookies and just get on with it. Knowledge is power and it will help you see that diabetes is i not the end of the world, life goes on and nothing should stop him from doing anything he wants to:)
JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) are an organisation dealing with diabetes in youngsters and is a great starting point for help and support.

Good luck and just be there for him, don't feel sad or sorry for him, feel proud that he is still the same lovely grandson and diabetes is just a small part of him ( a super hero ):)

Best wishes and all the best RRB x

lindyp50

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Lindy sorry to hear of your grandsons diagnosis, I know actually how you feel. My granddaughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years, she was extremely ill and then she on the HDU at our hospital fighting for hrer life, lying there on the bed with a nappy on and tubes coming out of (what seemed like everywhere) and an oxygen mask on. I will never forget it and I blamed myself for not picking it up sooner, and I blamed myself because I am type 1 too. My granddaughter is now 6 and recovered well and leads a normal, healthy, happy life. It's shock, confusion, anger, disbelief that this could be happening to someone so young and someone you love so very much and you may feel helpless, it's a lot to take in, but in time it will get better, a little easier and not such a mountain to climb. Try and find out a little more about type 1 in children, they are tough little cookies and just get on with it. Knowledge is power and it will help you see that diabetes is i not the end of the world, life goes on and nothing should stop him from doing anything he wants to:)
JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) are an organisation dealing with diabetes in youngsters and is a great starting point for help and support.

Good luck and just be there for him, don't feel sad or sorry for him, feel proud that he is still the same lovely grandson and diabetes is just a small part of him ( a super hero ):)

Best wishes and all the best RRB x

lindyp50

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks, the story of your granddaughter is very poignant and certainly a positive one. I'm pleased she has recovered so well.

I think my problem today is that I'm feeling very 'wobbly.' I'm on my own and the situation is so raw that I don't feel able to talk (in person ) to anyone about it and I couldn't possibly be of any help to my daughter and grandson today feeling as I am.

I was buoyed a little by an article about Melligen cells having the potential to reverse type 1, but much of the other stuff I have read today talks about 'life expectancy' and 'complications' so I gave up, However, on your recommendation, I will take a look at the JDRF site and I guess ..... tomorrow is another day!

Thanks again.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It can be difficult for all family members when a child gets diagnosed, but there is light at the end of the tunnel and any time you feel like you need to talk to someone or get something off of your chest, just post away, members do understand.

I'm like you in a way, no adult here, but I have a teenager who was just 10 when her niece, my GD, was diagnosed. Sometimes all you want is a hug, a shoulder to cry upon and someone to say, "don't worry we will go through this together" . Take care, RRB.