Three months post diagnosis

jennygee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in January and have now completed my three educational sessions and reported to my G.P. My HbA1 was originally 63 and after three months of diet and exercise the level was down to 43. I have been using a meter and the average readings for the last four fortnightly periods have been 7.2, 6.9, 6.5 and 6.4. All in all my G.P. and I feel things are definitely going in the right direction and no medication is indicated at the present time. My only 'failure' is in getting the fasting levels down - after reading an American article I tried taking apple cider vinegar each day in an effort to affect the fasting levels, but no luck (and I really didn't like the vinegar!!). The dawn phenomenon or liver dump seems to cause many diabetics problems and I don't quite know how to tackle this. The fasting BS tend to be between 7,0 and 8.2 and obviously make my average readings higher. Otherwise I feel my BS levels are OK and I will persist with the low carb diet I have been adhering to long-term. I do miss some foods but have also found it quite a challenge discovering alternative foods - such as using a spiralizer for interesting veggie meals and enjoying yoghurt and berry fruits. When I saw my G.P (who incidentally is very supportive in relation to meter using and prescribes test strips) he told me to give myself the occasional dietary treat!
I would say that the diabetic nurses running the education sessions were very dismissive of my intention to use a meter, saying they were unnecessary for Type 2 patients. They were also pushing the 'healthy plate' diet. I felt that it would be easy to acknowledge they were the experts and to end up with problems!! The so-called experts have a lot to learn!
In conclusion, I feel happy with my progress. My G.P. has agreed that I can have quarterly HbA1 tests so that I can continue to monitor and control.

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed in January and have now completed my three educational sessions and reported to my G.P. My HbA1 was originally 63 and after three months of diet and exercise the level was down to 43. I have been using a meter and the average readings for the last four fortnightly periods have been 7.2, 6.9, 6.5 and 6.4. All in all my G.P. and I feel things are definitely going in the right direction and no medication is indicated at the present time. My only 'failure' is in getting the fasting levels down - after reading an American article I tried taking apple cider vinegar each day in an effort to affect the fasting levels, but no luck (and I really didn't like the vinegar!!). The dawn phenomenon or liver dump seems to cause many diabetics problems and I don't quite know how to tackle this. The fasting BS tend to be between 7,0 and 8.2 and obviously make my average readings higher. Otherwise I feel my BS levels are OK and I will persist with the low carb diet I have been adhering to long-term. I do miss some foods but have also found it quite a challenge discovering alternative foods - such as using a spiralizer for interesting veggie meals and enjoying yoghurt and berry fruits. When I saw my G.P (who incidentally is very supportive in relation to meter using and prescribes test strips) he told me to give myself the occasional dietary treat!
I would say that the diabetic nurses running the education sessions were very dismissive of my intention to use a meter, saying they were unnecessary for Type 2 patients. They were also pushing the 'healthy plate' diet. I felt that it would be easy to acknowledge they were the experts and to end up with problems!! The so-called experts have a lot to learn!
In conclusion, I feel happy with my progress. My G.P. has agreed that I can have quarterly HbA1 tests so that I can continue to monitor and control.

I tend to agree that getting those fasting levels down a bit would be ideal. What is your average reading when you go to bed? If you don't do a bedtime reading, then what are you after your last meal?

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, you have done amazingly well, congratulations.

I was diagnosed Dec and like you, all readings down, with fasting one only one that is sticking. Last week test before bed average around 5.9, morning 6.7. I read on another thread idea of eating something small and low carb before bed, so might try that - or should we try eating a few more carbs before bed to help prevent liver dump...... Interesting one night I slep badly, so ate some nuts around 2am, fasting reading 5.8.....

I'm hoping to loose a bit more weight, and wonder if that might bring overall levels down a bit more.

Congrats again.

jennygee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to agree that getting those fasting levels down a bit would be ideal. What is your average reading when you go to bed? If you don't do a bedtime reading, then what are you after your last meal?
I haven't consistently tested after my evening meal or at bedtime so far, so will test for a night or two and see results I get. Thanks for the suggestion.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't consistently tested after my evening meal or at bedtime so far, so will test for a night or two and see results I get. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you are high going to bed, that could be something that might be readily addressed. Start with the simple stuff.

plonkish_

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on getting your hbA1c down!
My fasting readings can also be high sometimes but other times they are ok and I haven't established the cause of the difference yet.

netter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What did you stop eating to help get your blood sugar levels undercontrol.

jennygee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What did you stop eating to help get your blood sugar levels undercontrol.
Obviously I cut down on all the sugary foods. The main change was in eating as few carbs as I could. I have virtually given up potatoes, pasta and rice and am eating many more veggie dishes to compensate. Strangely enough I seem to be eating more than before my diagnosis and rarely feel hungry. I take note of any dish that raises my levels and either avoid it or have a smaller portion.
It is all a job in progress........!

Reactions: 4 people

kateincornwall

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who lie , animal cruelty , boredom and pineapple !
I think its continually a work in progress as we try different foods and recipes , but very well done in getting your HB so reduced , that's brilliant :)

jennygee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think its continually a work in progress as we try different foods and recipes , but very well done in getting your HB so reduced , that's brilliant :)
Thanks Kate! The next task is to somehow reduce those pesky fasting levels!!