DAFNE Course...

silverbirch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just completed the DAFNE course today. Was apprehensive at first about going onto the course, but needn't have worried. It was relaxed, informal and enjoyable. It is very informative, enlightening and invaluable. If you get offered a chance to attend the DAFNE course then it's well worth the week it takes to complete.

Reactions: 4 people

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did the course in April and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was nervous at first but once I'd got settled it was a blast. It's nice being in an environment where everyone understands you and we all had some good laughs. I learnt a lot of valuable things as well. Glad you enjoyed it also!

Reactions: 4 people

nurseryboss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was diagnosed in 1964 aged 13. I did the DAFNE course in 2008 and didn't think there was much I didn't already know about Type 1 Diabetes. I only went on the course because I wanted to have a pump and it was a prerequisite to being considered for that. Some things I already knew e.g. carb counting, but there were lots of things I hadn't heard before. A very worthwhile experience and well worth going on. Would highly recommend it to others. All on my course really found it valuable and we shared our various experiences which only other type 1's understand.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would love the opportunity to go on the course.

silverbirch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JRW It is available to all Type 1 and Type 2 who take insulin. Ask you GP or DNS for info.

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JRW It is available to all Type 1 and Type 2 who take insulin. Ask you GP or DNS for info.

I did ask when I was diagnosed, I got an invite for a carbs and cals course at 1 weeks notice, I was working abroad that week and asked to continue to be on a waiting list, but no invite since. It feels like if you work full time and can't necessarily drop everything at short notice that you are seen as not being committed to the cause (just my reaction to the raised eyebrows when trying to explain work commitments).

I have given up hope of getting any useful help from the NHS other than my prescriptions and diet advice. The one useful appointment I have had is with a superb dietician who I asked questions about exercise, sport and diabetes, it was worth the travel. Other than that I manage my BG well, so happy that the NHS funds are spent on those that are struggling to manage.