Sooo annoyed!

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am i the only Type1 Diabetic who hasn't had any kind of negative reaction? I was diagnosed at the age of 49 thats 4 years ago. I have it under control, I read loads and asked loads of questions so I have an in-depth knowledge of my condition. I gave all my work colleagues the low down on my condition and where to find my Coca Cola should I start showing signs of Hypo. My boss lets me work from home if i'm not feeling too good. In fact life is pretty much the same for me as it was before the condition hit. My big suggestion to all is, live your life as you did before the diagnosis, manage it, ignore ignorant comments, don't become a Diabetic militant.

No - you're not.

I was diagnosed T1 almost ten years ago (as an adult, which is obviously easier) and, as far as I can remember, have never had any negative comments at all (or I'm super thick skinned and don't notice them..?)
People sometimes ask questions, but it's almost always just because they're interested and I'm happy to chat about it if they want.

I'm sorry for people who do suffer from the inane comments - it must be really annoying. I agree, though - the only way (as with all such things, not at all restricted to diabetes related comments) is to rise above it/ignore/take the moral high ground...

I must just be lucky that I mostly only come into contact with nice people. Most people I know would never dream of making unsolicited personal comments.

Gary1205

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a new member and only diagnosed in recent months with type 2, can I say how reassuring it is to see that it's not just me who gets advice from friends and colleagues who think they know everything about the condition. Only this morning a colleague was trying to contradict the excellent advice I was given yesterday in my first introductory thread. that same colleague whilst having complimented in my weight loss already has been full of comments about how I should really be going about it, even though I am quite happy that I am going about things the right way up to now. I have already learnt quite quickly to just smile politely and ignore what they say.

jgibson1962

Easy to say if you can have it under control. Also if you had a life before diabetes, or can remember it. sounds very much like your in honeymoon period still!
Maybe, who knows, i'm just putting it in my perspective, I think i have a right to an opinion on here, I expect it will get worse and i'll have all kinds of problems, but believe me no matter what, its never gonna beat me, its not going to stop me riding my Horse or doing crazy s* on my mountain bike, I'm inspired by people like Steve Redgrave, I believe hes had it all his life, i wouldn't expect him to be in a honeymoon period. Maybe i'm the only Diabetic in the world with understanding colleagues and Boss...

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the BINGO I want to print it out and put it on my wall. It makes me smile to know that the ignorance about diabetes is universal. My hubby is always going 'can you eat that' which is really annoying when its bacon and eggs with sour cream