Should Type 1's be able to join the military?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About april i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, And my dream was to join the Royal Marine Commando's. I personally think that you should be allowed to join them if you can prove to the medical team that you can control your diabetes, and Work in any situation with it, Or a idea that i had was you could stay on a base if they occupy another country and defend that base. Recently i was on their website and i was reading up on it more and i came across some words. "You could become part of the one of the world’s best elite fighting forces. Nothing stands in our way. What will stand in yours?"
Diabetes will stand in our way, But i don't think we will let it, Does anybody have any ideas to help me I seriously have no other plan for life, I have no qualifications No other interests in any other job, Please help

Regards Matthew.

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you sure you can't? Diabetics can join the fire service. Have you checked?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Unfortunately, it still isn't possible to join the Armed Forces as a diabetic, and it's not due to whether you are well controlled. It's due to even the slightest risk of you being the weak link in a critical situation and putting your squad/flight team/crew at risk. Imagine being stuck in a gun battle in the middle of nowhere after having had your kit stripped from you by unfriendly forces. How do you deal with a low or give yourself insulin if you don't have any?

Unfortunately I'm afraid that as a type 1, the risks to the armed forces are too high to employ someone with T1 who needs to be in a position to be deployed into a hostile environment. I looked at REME many years ago, and I fully understand the reasoning.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you will need to look for an alternative. If you are fit and active, there is nothing stopping you becoming involved in the fitness industry, or something similar. You can do that without vast amounts of qualifications. I'd also look at going back and trying again with GCSEs. You may well find that with a different focus you can achieve more than you realised.

Reactions: 6 people

leedoak

Sorry mate, you can't join if you have diabetes. I'm in the army I got type 1 in April, they are trying to medical discharge me after 14 year service, I'm gutted I'm married with two children. I'm nothing but a broken cog in there system and I'm a engineer, so I'll always work on a base somewhere in the world.

I'm trying to fight it, I've even set up a page on Facebook called the diabetic soldier, I going to trek some of the Sahara desert to prove T1 diabetes is manageable with good administration.
Good luck mate hope it changes soon or you find a new goal in life.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry @AnonymousMatthew but @tim2000s hit the nail on the head.

@leedoak I'm really sorry for you, but as an engineer you understand that the broken cog needs to be replaced to get the well oiled machine back up and running - and you wouldn't replace it with a cheap knock-off - possibly faulty item - not if peoples lives depended on it.

I'm sure an Army engineer with 14yrs service would be very employable on civi street!

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the reply's, But i'm still not giving up theres still a chance, And if not im going to fight for it there's gotta be some way i can join. I had an idea that if i get a non-Combat role i still get the basic training? and if i get the basic training i can join a Private Military Company since they only take Vet's and people who have had combat training, I'll keep you guys updated :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also i'm hoping it will change in a few years ( I am 14) And still theres a chance if it gets cured i can join. I'm contacting a Ex-Soldier in america to see if i can join over there since diabetics have joined over there in the past.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@AnonymousMatthew - determind little chap aren't you?! Good luck. Have you talked this through with your parents?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I talked to my parents about it when i was 10, Talked to them ever since sadly then i got diagnosed and they seriously don't believe that i can do this but, I know i can and if i can't, I'll just have to cure diabetes myself! haha No but on a serious note i'm going to try until there's no chance anymore, And when theres no chance i'm just going to try to help make us understand diabetes and help to cure it.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @AnonymousMatthew what is it about joining the Army that appeals to you?

If you know which aspect is most appealing then maybe you can find an alternative career that will still give you some aspects of what an Army career would give you (forum members will willingly come up with suggestions!)