Holiday worries

M

mammamia2006

I have only ever been abroad with my mum when I was a kid, been a couple of uk breaks with hubby but now he wants to go on holiday to Spain in summer time.

Do I need a letter from dr saying I am t1 therefore need insulin, etc?

Any other advice please as I am worried about problems while we are away.

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Yes, the advice is get your GP/DSN to write you a letter stating your medical condition and insulin needs. I've never been asked to show this when I go abroad but I always have it to hand (the original one they wrote some years back) in case.

I have been to Europe and America since diagnosed as a T1 and no real issues. Remember to keep your insulin cool in hot climbs. I use Ffrio wallets to travel and then put the insulin in the fridge when I get to my destination. Carry spares and extras of everything in case. Make sure you have an EHiC medical card, I also note down the actual insulin makes etc in case I ever need some supplies when away. There are a few useful diabetes websites out there that gives a list of emergency contacts in each European country. I'm sure everything will be absolutely fine - enjoy and try not to worry (hard I know!)

Reactions: 4 people
M

mammamia2006

Thank you both.

I cant even go from Aberdeen to Glasgow without freaking out lol.

Actually went to Livingston for a few days and was so worried something went wrong I actually made my hubby take me home after 3 days (hotel etc was paid for a week)

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you both.

I cant even go from Aberdeen to Glasgow without freaking out lol.

Actually went to Livingston for a few days and was so worried something went wrong I actually made my hubby take me home after 3 days (hotel etc was paid for a week)
I was always told to make sure you get it from your DSN as your GP may charge you for it but the hospital will be free.

M

mammamia2006

I have been waiting over a month for a letter from clinic, its a bit of a joke

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi.

I've been abroad a few times since diagnoses last year, and going again next week.

You can get the letter either from ur GP or the clinic. Just phone ur GP and tell the receptionist u need a letter to carry on sharps on the plane as u are T1. They should sort it and get a letter ready for u to pick up from reception.

Deffo get a Frio pouch. eBay or their online shop.

Carry a spare meter and test strips. Take spare insulin and keep in the mini bar in the room.

Most importantly.... enjoy!!!! :)

M

mammamia2006

Th
Hi.

I've been abroad a few times since diagnoses last year, and going again next week.

You can get the letter either from ur GP or the clinic. Just phone ur GP and tell the receptionist u need a letter to carry on sharps on the plane as u are T1. They should sort it and get a letter ready for u to pick up from reception.

Deffo get a Frio pouch. eBay or their online shop.

Carry a spare meter and test strips. Take spare insulin and keep in the mini bar in the room.

Most importantly.... enjoy!!!! :)

Thank you. Hopefully iI will get letter from dr, saying that, asked for a prescription from new dr and she laughed in my face and said no because I wasnt a diabetic, MUPPET!!

Luckily I saw another dr as I was leaving and said to him and he came in and went a bit mad at her :)

More worried about hubby enjoying it cause we have never been abroad together and the heat makes me a bit cookoo lol

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Th

Thank you. Hopefully iI will get letter from dr, saying that, asked for a prescription from new dr and she laughed in my face and said no because I wasnt a diabetic, MUPPET!!

Luckily I saw another dr as I was leaving and said to him and he came in and went a bit mad at her :)

More worried about hubby enjoying it cause we have never been abroad together and the heat makes me a bit cookoo lol

Yes, be careful in the heat as it can cause hypos. You might find you need to reduce your insulin a little - or just enjoy the odd extra ice cream! ;)

M

mammamia2006

I am such a gussy moaner, I dont like ice cream :-( sure I will be able to think of something lol

silverbirch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Advice from DSN, always carry Diabetes meds in two separate bags, i.e. put some in your hand luggage and some in hubby's hand luggage. Do not put insulin in your suitcase, as the hold in the plane is too cold, which may affect it, and therefore not work. Always take far more than you think you might need. Don't forget your carb counter book. Enjoy your holiday.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Just a little note to perhaps boast your confidence I have been t1 for 40 years and must have abroad about 30/40 times and never had a single problem, I always carry a doctors note but have never been asked show it.

teacher123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to jump in here but if I'm flying from say Glasgow to London, do I still need a doctor's note for needles etc? Got some short-trips booked for summer. Thanks.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to jump in here but if I'm flying from say Glasgow to London, do I still need a doctor's note for needles etc? Got some short-trips booked for summer. Thanks.

Yes, you'll have sharps etc with you, so better safe than sorry.

HaroldC

Never needed any letters for any of my travelling. I don't bother with them now. Inverness airport wanted to x-ray my pump, but an older colleague soon put him right. The more remote places in South America and Africa might be a bit trickier, but I have no need to go there. US & Europe (including Canaries) are all really reasonable.