Diabetic etiquette

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Just found out there's another type 1 person at work... Who sits pretty near me actually. I have never spoken to them before but someone said to me "do you know she is also type 1?" .
Can I go and introduce myself? She might be quite private about it so I'm not sure

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I did when I saw them blood testing. That's usually my catalyst. And it usually goes "Hi, I'm Tim. I'm also diabetic".

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally I would, id be like heyyyyy I'm diabetic tooooo and immediately think we have a special bond, but I'm that kind of person and would completely understand if they didn't want to talk about it but that's how I'd approach them with it :)

Reactions: 4 people

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found myself in an identical situation. I just went up and said, "I hope you don't think me rude, but I heard that you are type 1.....and so on". She has helped me adapt to being type 1 and we have shared a few laughs about some of the more ridiculous things about being type 1. So I would say go for it.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not T1, but as someone who doesn't shout her diabetes "loud and proud", I would take a different approach to the others, so far.

I'd be inclined to either have a "happen-chance encounter" at the printer/ in the kitchen or whatever and say something like, "A little bird tells me we have something a bit unusual in common", then wait for her to engage the conversation. You would be able to tell from their approach how "out there" they are on things. Alternatively, you could drop her an email.

I think I'd then just leave things at "let me know if I can ever be of help", and get on with my life. If she's upbeat about it, she has plenty of openings.

For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not routinely "out there" for any sinister reason, I just don't want people to define me by it, or treat me differently to anyone else.

Reactions: 6 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
T1s..?? I'm ruddy surrounded by em! I joined a band a couple of years back & two months in at a rehearsal, the bass player goes vague & sweaty, opens a can of coke & leaves the room... "Is he alright? I ask the guitarist. "He's not feeling too well, diabetic."
I actually didn't own up I was for a good while until we got roped into a JDRF heavy metal fund raiser.

I joined a second outfit recently & low behold the bassist in that band is T1 too..turns out he was diagnosed at 18 months old..

Earlier this year I was temping at a graphics firm. I passed a printer on a break & there was an older guy leaning on the machine with a familiar looking Accu-chek Mobile. I did stop & "chew the fat."
But initially as I approached, he saw me & his body language briefly changed. adopting a defensive posture, hiding his meter. I kind of guessed he was thinking "here come the stupid questions." ;)

Reactions: 14 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh my god, you're so lucky! I don't know anyone who's T1! :(

Up until about 4 years a go. I was "the only gay in the village." :D

We don't all sit around talking D though. Too busy being "rock stars".. Lol:cool:

Reactions: 3 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I would not.

I learned my lesson why the hard way.

I know this may not be the case for everyone, but I know you were diagnosed later in life as I was. I first introduced myself to a lady at the pump clinic i was attending thinking "Oh finally someone i can talk to in person about diabetic problems!" and then I felt foolish. I felt foolish because all the standard questions arose "How are you? When were you diagnosed? How do you manage?" etc... I found out that she had been with T1 for decades longer then I, had many complications, and knew little about 'modern' management... So when she asked me my answers seemed much to close to bragging and I really felt like I came off terribly :/

The moral here is - Just because you share 1 thing in common doesn't make you friends lol

Its similar to gender, or race, or age in the workplace. I think I would let it happen organically, if it never comes up then it never does... Or maybe i would test in front of her giving her the opening if she chooses to talk to you about it.

But there are so many negative things that people go through with this disease that i would approach it with caution if i haven't gone through any of those negative things.

Thats just my opinion, and personally if I was approached by someone I would be fine with it because i think I am handling it well, if i was handling it poorly i wouldn't want to talk to anyone about it ever lol

Reactions: 7 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just introduce yourself and get to know each other first, when you feel comfortable why not take out your bg meter and test your bg, if they mention that they have diabetes too you can then talk about it further, if they don't say anything then you know they don't like to talk about their diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I would not.

I learned my lesson why the hard way.

I know this may not be the case for everyone, but I know you were diagnosed later in life as I was. I first introduced myself to a lady at the pump clinic i was attending thinking "Oh finally someone i can talk to in person about diabetic problems!" and then I felt foolish. I felt foolish because all the standard questions arose "How are you? When were you diagnosed? How do you manage?" etc... I found out that she had been with T1 for decades longer then I, had many complications, and knew little about 'modern' management... So when she asked me my answers seemed much to close to bragging and I really felt like I came off terribly :/

The moral here is - Just because you share 1 thing in common doesn't make you friends lol

Its similar to gender, or race, or age in the workplace. I think I would let it happen organically, if it never comes up then it never does... Or maybe i would test in front of her giving her the opening if she chooses to talk to you about it.

But there are so many negative things that people go through with this disease that i would approach it with caution if i haven't gone through any of those negative things.

Thats just my opinion, and personally if I was approached by someone I would be fine with it because i think I am handling it well, if i was handling it poorly i wouldn't want to talk to anyone about it ever lol

I wouldn't dissagree with you.. Years ago one Diabetic customer "introduced" himself whilst having a low.. He grabbed me by the throat. I threw him against a wall. & as a parting shot hit him in the face with a mars bar...

It don't always work out! Lol

Reactions: 8 people

zjed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Lazy Doctors and Endos
Oh my god, you're so lucky! I don't know anyone who's T1! :(

Same, but I'm going to my 1st T1 social group lunch this weekend. Better late than never.

Just go up and introduce yourself, life's too short to stuff around with etiquette.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I wave a bucket in Tescos every so often and i've noticed that type 1's love to come and have a chat, they love talking about their diabetes and sharing their stories. It's good to know someone so I would embrace the opportunity to chat about it, I don't know any other type 1's personally so given the chance I would happily say hello, I still wouldn't expect to be best mates because of it as that initially would be all that we would have in common, but who knows, a great friendship could develop ;)

victry77

I work in a large college as a support assistant and was covering an English class with a tutor I'd never met before. About a week later, I was in the toilets and as I was washing my hands I heard some very familiar beeping sounds and the winding up of a flexpen. I actually hung around the sink longer than I needed to as I was dying to see who it was... and this same tutor emerges. I was going to make a friendly comment but then someone else came in, so I didn't.

Interesting that she was doing all her diabetic duties in the toilet cubicle, though.

But yes, I've encountered quite a few T1's and know loads of people who have T1 friends and relatives.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My best one was a random encounter in the gym when I saw someone munching on Dextrosols. Cue the question, and then a long chat about the Libre on my arm!

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say hello in passing a few times before saying anything about being T1

Reactions: 5 people

silverbirch

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Emmotha Why not start speaking to this person as a colleague and not as a "diabetic" condition you both have. Might work better for you both in a nicer way.