Constant Dull ache in Calf Muscles

Marky249

Hi There!

I posted here a couple of years ago in regards to a pain in my calf muscles I keep getting since I was diagnosed 5 years ago.

The pain went away but has come back with avengence and I dont know what to do!

When I had it originally I went to the Dr's and was referred to hospital but they couldn't give me a diagnosis and ruled out neuropathy and prescribed me with codeine and I dont want to go through the whole rig-moral again with no conclusion!

I put it down to maybe the cold weather at the time but its warm now and the pain is getting worse... My Levels are usually well controlled and I try and drink as much water as I can to keep Hydrated.

Does anyone else a similar issue?

Thanks! :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi -- and welcome back.

I don't have this pain but I am wondering if you are taking a statin as some of these have a fairly common side effect of causing pain in the legs

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
Not a medical professional but I have heard that dehydration and/or an electrolyte imbalance causes pain in the calf muscles. Do you feel that you drink enough water? Is it worth taking a potassium supplement (or, alternatively, eating more potassium rich foods such as bananas) do you think?

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi There!

I posted here a couple of years ago in regards to a pain in my calf muscles I keep getting since I was diagnosed 5 years ago.

The pain went away but has come back with avengence and I dont know what to do!

When I had it originally I went to the Dr's and was referred to hospital but they couldn't give me a diagnosis and ruled out neuropathy and prescribed me with codeine and I dont want to go through the whole rig-moral again with no conclusion!

I put it down to maybe the cold weather at the time but its warm now and the pain is getting worse... My Levels are usually well controlled and I try and drink as much water as I can to keep Hydrated.

Does anyone else a similar issue?

Thanks! :)[/QUOTE

You could ask your doctor for blood tests, especially regarding thyroid hormones, if you have not done so already, though i imagine the hospital will have done this last time? I had calf pain for ages with only quite mild autoimmune hypothyroid disease, which was not diagnosed for some time, still get it if my levels get out of balance..... See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20332062

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
sorry, my reply has got locked in the box, a copy is here -
You could ask your doctor for blood tests, especially regarding thyroid hormones, if you have not done so already, though i imagine the hospital will have done this last time? I had calf pain for ages with only quite mild autoimmune hypothyroid disease, which was not diagnosed for some time, still get it if my levels get out of balance..... Seehttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20332062

cillabrown909

Hi, earlier on in the year my levels were uncontrollable and just couldn't get them down whatever I did, one of my symptoms of high bloods for a long period was pain in my right calf (especially in bed) and often led to cramp. in the past couple of months I have managed to bring my levels down and the pain has gone, I have not suffered with pain or cramp for about a month now, I hope you get this sorted as I understand how painful and frustrating it is