Lows

Agloy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MammaLucy,

Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts:) today was the big day for us we were able to get our Omni Pod pump all set up and we are official pumpers! We have only been diagnosed since end of March but do to the training we had and the fact that we are under good control we were able to get on s pump sooner than we expected.

We have been so excited and anxiously waiting for this day. My little boy was so nervous to get the pod put in for the first time as he is beyond his limit with all the shots . But after the cannula was inserted he hugged me and cried and said he felt so happy and relieved! He is like a different kiddo . Praise God for the first time in a very long time I feel like I have my son Back:)

I know we have a very long journey but now it feels so much more manageable and we have our hope back:)

Dan87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dextrose/Lucozade tablets are the most straightforward boost for me if I'm on the move. If I'm at home I often go for the healthy option of around 200ml of orange or apple juice, giving around 20g carbs in the form of natural sugar.

Postitnote

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
At the moment... artex ceilings. Also the concrete patio.
It used to be jelly babies or lucozade for me. The temptation to over-treat was not easily over-come. I am now using rapilose. Which is disgusting (but works).

Charlie Tudgay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Gluco tabs. They're like dextrose but work slightly faster and taste a lot nicer. You can get little tubes of them great for in bags but I keep large pots of them by my bed as also to refill the little tubes.
Find these better than sweats and sugary drinks as not tempted to just have them even when I'm not low!!

_Keyboard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have always carried Glucose tablets which are readily available at all chemists and Pharmacies. These are readily absorbed into the bloodstream.:) .Far quicker than eating solids that have to be digested first.

MammaLucy

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dear Agloy,
So pleased that the pump has made a difference already. We were due to go to our pump talk but it clashes with our holiday, which is a whole other worry for me.

I know that it is a HUGE thing for us mums to be able to do the smallest thing for our children to make their lives easier, especially when it comes to type 1 diabetes.

I am struggling at the moment and feel quite alone and have some dark days. Example, I asked my son to test before bed but did not check that he had washed his hands and he had a hyper, so took some more novo rapid and then his lantus and by the time he had cleaned his teeth he said he felt low, so tested again with clean hands and was 3.4!!!! So spent the next 30 mins getting his numbers up and so another late night!!!!

However, I am delighted that things are looking up for you both and I look forward to hearing how your son gets on with his new pump.
Lucy x

Agloy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
MammaLucy,

Oh wow that is a hard night for sure I know as the parents of a young T1D it feels very daunting and lonely at times. We have had our share of challenges along the way also. I will say if you guys do choose to pump( I was not interested in my so doing it at first it freaked me out ) I think you will find some relief in carrying the heavy burden that T1D can bring a parent.

We have had the Omni Pod for 2 months now and I can't believe how our lives have changed. My son feels ( he is 10) like he has some control and his life back. It's a new challenge but for us it's been great . We have had 2 pods fail that was interesting but no biggie we had plenty of extras and we decided for the freedom it gives us it didn't bother us to much.

I am sorry your feeling down but just know there are others out here who understand your position and we are all here to help and encourage :) I really recommend pumping if your comfortable with the idea it's honestly been great! It's also minimized out late night trying to get BG to our right levels before bed.

Hang in there mom!!!

Bethany buchan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use dextrose that's really the only thing Iv found that works for me like sweets n sugary juice doesn't work at all n it's a lot cheaper too and u can carry them anywhere n stuff

Agloy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So after you take the glucco tabs do you do the rule of 15? Once your BG is up do you take a complex carb?

Kathrynalison

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use dextro tabs (or proper lucozade tabs if they're on offer becaus they taste nicer) and then have something like jam on toast or sugary cereal. But my partner doesn't get the effect from tabs and prefers lucozade drink for his hypos. Always useful to have some in the car aswell as some biscuits or something just incase x