Low/No Carb Recipes

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am slowly learning how to eat with low and no carbs...its taken me years to get here but better late than never i guess....tho i wish i had found this forum for support and looked after my sugar levels better before now.

I have added some recipes that i hope anyone might find useful.

Salmon Broccoli Pasta

75 gms per person Wheat/Gluten free pasta twists or shells, Broccoli florets, one salmon fillet, half tub of healthy creme fraiche, i tsp mustard, spices of your choce.

1. Boil 75grams (per person) of wheat/gluten free pasta and broccoli together. (takes about 12 mins).
2. Microwave a salmon fillet for 2 mins.
3. Put the cooked pasta and broccoli in an oven proof dish and flake the salmon in it.
4. Mix one teaspoon of mustard into half a tub of healthy creme fraiche, add some paprika and some dried parsley and mix well.
5. Mix the creme fraiche into the pasta,salmon and broccoli...mix well making sure everything gets covered in the creme fraiche.
6. Put in the oven for about 10 mins.

Variations
: add prawns and sweetcorn to this or use chicken breast instead of fish.

Sweet Potato Chips

Sweet potato, spray coconut oil, spices of your choice.

1. Peel and slice some sweet potatoes into thin chips.
2. Put in a large dish and spray some coconut oil and mix well.
3. Add some paprika and dried garlic pieces and any other spices you like.
4. Mix well and spread the chips onto a baking sheet.
5. Spray coconut oil over the top and bake in the oven for about 10 mins on 200c.

Chicken Patties

Minced turkey, coconut oil, red pepper, leek, garlic and spices of your choice.

1. Put a tray of turkey mince into a bowl and add some herbs and spices of your choice. (i use paprika, dried parsley and pepper).
2. Fry a leek, small diced red pepper and one clove of garlic, crushed in two sprays of coconut oil and once softened add to the turkey mince, mix well.
3. Make about 4-6 patties and add some coconut oil spray into a non stick frying pan and cook for about 5 mins each side until they have gone white in colour and cooked through.
4. Put on a baking tray and cook in the oven for about ten mins. (i usually add these with the chips).
5. Serve with the sweet potato chips and salad or veg of your choice.
One or two patties per person depending on how big you make them.

Chicken Pie

Cooked chicken, one tub of creme fraiche, 1 tsp mustard, leek, red pepper, about 4 medium sweet potatoes, one swede, one garlic clove,spices and herbs of your choice, spray coconut oil.

1. I use a ready cooked chicken from the supermarket for this dish as it definitely has a better taste to the finished dish. Take the chicken off the bone and flake into an over proof dish.
2. Peel and chop into small cubes about 4 medium sweet potatoes and one swede. Boil until soft and mash together with some black pepper. (i dont use butter but you could add a small teasspoon of butter in the mash).
3. Fry a leek,diced red pepper and one clove of garlic, crushed in some spray coconut oil and add to the chicken and mix.
4. In a tub of healthy creme fraiche add one teaspoon of mustard and any spices and herbs, (i use paprika and dried parsley).
5. Mix the creme fraiche into the chicken and stir well making sure all lthe chicken mix is covered.
6. Spread the mash on top of the chicken and bake in the oven for about 20 mins on 200c.
This makes enough for 4 people.

Variation:
You can use fish with this recipe, and you can also add some grated cheese on top of the mash if you want to.
(i dont use cheese as its tasty enough without).

Salmon cooked in Lemon and Ginger

Two salmon fillets, one lemon, one ginger bulb, silver foil.

1. Slice some ginger and put on a sheet of baking foil.
2. Add some sliced leek onto the ginger.
3. Add 4 slices of lemon onto the leek and ginger.
4. Add two salmon fillets on the top.
5. Grate some lemon zest onto the salmon and juice of half a lemon. Use the juiced lemon, slice it and add on top of the salmon.
6. Close the silver foil into a parcel and cook in the oven 200c for about ten mins.
Serve with salad, roasted sweet potato or brown rice and veg of your choice.
Serves 2.

Variations:
You can use chicken instead of salmon or any other fish.I also use lime zest and add some lime juice.

Lime Chicken and Egg Fried Rice

Two chicken breasts, one boil in the bag brown rice (serves two people), one lime, 1 tsp honey, 2 tbs of light soy sauce, 2 eggs, leek, spray coconut oil, crushed garlic clove, frozen sweetcorn.

I use brown rice that i have already cooked earlier for this recipe.
1. Marinate two chicken breasts in some lime juice, one tbl spoon of light soy sause and one tsp of honey.(leave in the fridge for a few hours for a more intense flavour).
2. Mix together 2 eggs in a dish and leave to one side.
3. Cook the chicken breasts on a griddle pan while you are making the egg fried rice.
4. Stir fry a sliced leek in spray coconut oil, add a clove of crushed garlic and some frozen sweetcorn.
5. Add the egg to the wok and stir until cooked.
6. Add the brown rice to the pan and add some light soy sauce and some lime zest and juice, cook until heated through.
Serves 2.
Serve the rice with the chicken on top.

Courgette and Almonds

2 tbsp flaked almonds, spray coconut oil, 2 courgettes, finely sliced.

1. Heat some spray coconut oil in a frying pan and cook the lamonds for 2 mins.
2. Add the courgette and toss together until the courgette is cooled through.
Serve with fish or chicken.

Prawn Stir Fry Noodles

About 200g peeled prawns, chilli chopped, one garlic clove crushed, bunch of coriander, lime juice, coconut oil, small piece of ginger, red pepper thinly sliced, sliced spring onions and 1tsp soy sauce, bean sprouts.

1. Put the chilli, garlic and coriander into a blender, add half of the lime juice and pour over the prawns in a bowl.
2. Heat some spray coconut oil in a wok and add the ginger and spring onions and fry for 1 min.
3. Add the red pepper and cook for 2-3 mins.
4. Add the bean sprouts and soy sauce.
5. Fry the prawns for 2 mins and add the marinade, then pour into the veg dish.
Serve with wheat/gluten free noodles and sprinkle with coriander.

If anyone is interested in anymore recipes and/or the diet plan i am following please let me know as im happy to share the knowledge i am learning about low carbs..any recipes and the actual diet. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you look in the low carb forum on here there are lots of recipes and advice you might find useful. The mods might move this thread over for you :)

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh ok sorry....new to the forum and hadnt found that thread yet...i have now and added there but not sure how to delete this whole thread??

Alzebra

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh ok sorry....new to the forum and hadnt found that thread yet...i have now and added there but not sure how to delete this whole thread??

Don't worry about deleting it - just wanted to point you in the direction of the Low Carb section on this forum since it's really useful :)

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the chicken pie recipe I will give it a try

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I am slowly learning how to eat with low and no carbs...its taken me years to get here but better late than never i guess....tho i wish i had found this forum for support and looked after my sugar levels better before now.

I have added some recipes that i hope anyone might find useful.

Salmon Broccoli Pasta

75 gms per person Wheat/Gluten free pasta twists or shells, Broccoli florets, one salmon fillet, half tub of healthy creme fraiche, i tsp mustard, spices of your choce.

1. Boil 75grams (per person) of wheat/gluten free pasta and broccoli together. (takes about 12 mins).
2. Microwave a salmon fillet for 2 mins.
3. Put the cooked pasta and broccoli in an oven proof dish and flake the salmon in it.
4. Mix one teaspoon of mustard into half a tub of healthy creme fraiche, add some paprika and some dried parsley and mix well.
5. Mix the creme fraiche into the pasta,salmon and broccoli...mix well making sure everything gets covered in the creme fraiche.
6. Put in the oven for about 10 mins.

Variations
: add prawns and sweetcorn to this or use chicken breast instead of fish.

Sweet Potato Chips

Sweet potato, spray coconut oil, spices of your choice.

1. Peel and slice some sweet potatoes into thin chips.
2. Put in a large dish and spray some coconut oil and mix well.
3. Add some paprika and dried garlic pieces and any other spices you like.
4. Mix well and spread the chips onto a baking sheet.
5. Spray coconut oil over the top and bake in the oven for about 10 mins on 200c.

Chicken Patties

Minced turkey, coconut oil, red pepper, leek, garlic and spices of your choice.

1. Put a tray of turkey mince into a bowl and add some herbs and spices of your choice. (i use paprika, dried parsley and pepper).
2. Fry a leek, small diced red pepper and one clove of garlic, crushed in two sprays of coconut oil and once softened add to the turkey mince, mix well.
3. Make about 4-6 patties and add some coconut oil spray into a non stick frying pan and cook for about 5 mins each side until they have gone white in colour and cooked through.
4. Put on a baking tray and cook in the oven for about ten mins. (i usually add these with the chips).
5. Serve with the sweet potato chips and salad or veg of your choice.
One or two patties per person depending on how big you make them.

Chicken Pie

Cooked chicken, one tub of creme fraiche, 1 tsp mustard, leek, red pepper, about 4 medium sweet potatoes, one swede, one garlic clove,spices and herbs of your choice, spray coconut oil.

1. I use a ready cooked chicken from the supermarket for this dish as it definitely has a better taste to the finished dish. Take the chicken off the bone and flake into an over proof dish.
2. Peel and chop into small cubes about 4 medium sweet potatoes and one swede. Boil until soft and mash together with some black pepper. (i dont use butter but you could add a small teasspoon of butter in the mash).
3. Fry a leek,diced red pepper and one clove of garlic, crushed in some spray coconut oil and add to the chicken and mix.
4. In a tub of healthy creme fraiche add one teaspoon of mustard and any spices and herbs, (i use paprika and dried parsley).
5. Mix the creme fraiche into the chicken and stir well making sure all lthe chicken mix is covered.
6. Spread the mash on top of the chicken and bake in the oven for about 20 mins on 200c.
This makes enough for 4 people.

Variation:
You can use fish with this recipe, and you can also add some grated cheese on top of the mash if you want to.
(i dont use cheese as its tasty enough without).

Salmon cooked in Lemon and Ginger

Two salmon fillets, one lemon, one ginger bulb, silver foil.

1. Slice some ginger and put on a sheet of baking foil.
2. Add some sliced leek onto the ginger.
3. Add 4 slices of lemon onto the leek and ginger.
4. Add two salmon fillets on the top.
5. Grate some lemon zest onto the salmon and juice of half a lemon. Use the juiced lemon, slice it and add on top of the salmon.
6. Close the silver foil into a parcel and cook in the oven 200c for about ten mins.
Serve with salad, roasted sweet potato or brown rice and veg of your choice.
Serves 2.

Variations:
You can use chicken instead of salmon or any other fish.I also use lime zest and add some lime juice.

Lime Chicken and Egg Fried Rice

Two chicken breasts, one boil in the bag brown rice (serves two people), one lime, 1 tsp honey, 2 tbs of light soy sauce, 2 eggs, leek, spray coconut oil, crushed garlic clove, frozen sweetcorn.

I use brown rice that i have already cooked earlier for this recipe.
1. Marinate two chicken breasts in some lime juice, one tbl spoon of light soy sause and one tsp of honey.(leave in the fridge for a few hours for a more intense flavour).
2. Mix together 2 eggs in a dish and leave to one side.
3. Cook the chicken breasts on a griddle pan while you are making the egg fried rice.
4. Stir fry a sliced leek in spray coconut oil, add a clove of crushed garlic and some frozen sweetcorn.
5. Add the egg to the wok and stir until cooked.
6. Add the brown rice to the pan and add some light soy sauce and some lime zest and juice, cook until heated through.
Serves 2.
Serve the rice with the chicken on top.

Courgette and Almonds

2 tbsp flaked almonds, spray coconut oil, 2 courgettes, finely sliced.

1. Heat some spray coconut oil in a frying pan and cook the lamonds for 2 mins.
2. Add the courgette and toss together until the courgette is cooled through.
Serve with fish or chicken.

Prawn Stir Fry Noodles

About 200g peeled prawns, chilli chopped, one garlic clove crushed, bunch of coriander, lime juice, coconut oil, small piece of ginger, red pepper thinly sliced, sliced spring onions and 1tsp soy sauce, bean sprouts.

1. Put the chilli, garlic and coriander into a blender, add half of the lime juice and pour over the prawns in a bowl.
2. Heat some spray coconut oil in a wok and add the ginger and spring onions and fry for 1 min.
3. Add the red pepper and cook for 2-3 mins.
4. Add the bean sprouts and soy sauce.
5. Fry the prawns for 2 mins and add the marinade, then pour into the veg dish.
Serve with wheat/gluten free noodles and sprinkle with coriander.

If anyone is interested in anymore recipes and/or the diet plan i am following please let me know as im happy to share the knowledge i am learning about low carbs..any recipes and the actual diet. :)

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
I love the sound of these recipes but think the carbs might be too high for me, trying to keep to 30gs of carbs a day.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Although the recipes sound tasty, I agree with @timerich - and there's absolutely no way I could even consider eating rice or pasta on a very low carb diet, and sweet potatoes are also rather high carb for me.

@TrinMonroe: Just out of interest what do you consider toi be a no carb diet and have you got any example menus? I don't actually see that unless you give up vegetables completely and are very careful with many other foods, that such a diet would actually be possible, and in for me at least more or less unsustainable, so I'm curious.

Robbity

timerich

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
wet weather, litter
Although the recipes sound tasty, I agree with @timerich - and there's absolutely no way I could even consider eating rice or pasta on a very low carb diet, and sweet potatoes are also rather high carb for me.

@TrinMonroe: Just out of interest what do you consider toi be a no carb diet and have you got any example menus? I don't actually see that unless you give up vegetables completely and are very careful with many other foods, that such a diet would actually be possible, and in for me at least more or less unsustainable, so I'm curious.

Robbity
For me carbs I use are made up from veg (above ground) e.g. cabbage, cauli, broccoli and fruit is generally berries (weighed) ground almonds replace flour, but still use sparingly. So last night, was staek cooked in butter, with courgettes and mushrooms cooked in butter, I added cream to the mushrooms. followed by small portion of strawberries and cream.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me carbs I use are made up from veg (above ground) e.g. cabbage, cauli, broccoli and fruit is generally berries (weighed) ground almonds replace flour, but still use sparingly. So last night, was staek cooked in butter, with courgettes and mushrooms cooked in butter, I added cream to the mushrooms. followed by small portion of strawberries and cream.

Yes - very similar to me and that's what I'd consider a (very-ish) low carb diet and meal but what I really want to know is what @TrinMonroe would be eating on a NO carb diet.

Robbity

TrinMonroe

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
If you actually read the title of the thread it says NO and LOW carb recipes...there are NO carbs in a skinless chicken breast or a salmon fillet. I added spices and herbs and ginger and lemon which can be changed to suit peoples dietary needs. No recipe is set in stone.

Im shocked at the amount of fat you eat with butter and cream as these are surely not good for the heart or your cholesterol levels and putting on weight??

I am following a low carb/low fat diet plan called The Body Rescue Plan...i have pcos so losing weight has always been hard for me...and im also on insulin which makes losing weight twice as hard (though i have been referred today to try a new drug out which helps to lose weight on insulin so watch this space)....anyway...my diabetic nurse is very impressed by how low my sugars are now and even happier that i have lost half a stone (7lbs) in just over 3 weeks.
I have even been able to lower my insulin amount.

(My sugar levels used to spike and were always 8.0 in the mornings and 12-14 after dinner and tea....well they are 5-7 in the mornings and nothing over 8-9 after dinner and same for tea),

My partner who is not diabetic has been following this diet too and he has lost just over a stone in the same amount of time.

The recipes in the book are all low carb/fat and in her book sweet potato is used in the first week of detox as you are not allowed any other carbs such as pasta and rice etc these are slowly introduced in small amounts over the 12 week plan.

My daily diet consists of:
Breakfast: Two egg omelette cooked in two sprays of coconut oil...sometimes i have mushrrooms in it. Boiled egg with asparagus soldiers.
Dinner: No skin cooked chicken breast or salmon fillet with either salad or broccoli and other veg. Strawberries.
Tea: Sweet potato chips, sprayed with two sprays of coconut oil, and chicken breast cooked with herbs and spices and served with veg or salad...il have the same with salmon.
or il have Salmon, broccoli pasta (no wheat/gluten). Strawberries or grapes.
Snacks: 1 wheat/gluten free biscuit
fistful of almonds/cashews.

Thats just a rough idea as i dont stick to that every day i change things around.

So YES i am following a LOW carb diet...i never actually said i was following a NO carb diet...i said i was learning to eat LOW carb and NO carbs...i have found some great recipes on here that people have added and the support is fantastic.

Thank you for your comments and i hope i have answered your question Robbity :)