6 month review

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
i was diagnosed in January with a HbA1c result of 117 and now it has gone down to 58, my DN was very pleased but said my doctor wanted to speak to me and will probably want to increase my metformin dose as they want me to get to 53 or lower! I'm really pleased with my hard work so just had to share this with you as without all the help I don't think I would have got this result x

Reactions: 8 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, that is a huge drop and a magnificent achievement. It sounds to me as though your nurse believes it is the Metformin that has done it, and that increasing the dose will help even more. I very much doubt that is the case, it will have been your hard work and diet that did it. Metformin on its own doesn't help to that extent! Congratulations. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Ann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done!! Unfortunately controlling diabetes DOES take hard work but you will reap the benefits with a healthier life and less complications. I have been type 1 diabetic for 42 years and fortunately my hard work is paying off. Even after all this time I have no complications (yes I know I am lucky). Diabetes is well controlled. I am on an insulin pump and have always eaten healthily.
Look after yourself and be happy.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done; worth the effort to avoid the nasty complications.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done keep up the good work. How do you feel about increasing the Metformin. There is only a small difference from where you are now to where your Doctor wants you to be. If you have managed to reduce it by 59 in 6 months it might be worth holding back on the extra medication for now to see how you go. In the end it is your decision so make sure you have a proper discussion with your Dr about it and that you are completely happy about any decisions made.

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done, that is a huge drop and a magnificent achievement. It sounds to me as though your nurse believes it is the Metformin that has done it, and that increasing the dose will help even more. I very much doubt that is the case, it will have been your hard work and diet that did it. Metformin on its own doesn't help to that extent! Congratulations. :)[/QUOTE
Well done keep up the good work. How do you feel about increasing the Metformin. There is only a small difference from where you are now to where your Doctor wants you to be. If you have managed to reduce it by 59 in 6 months it might be worth holding back on the extra medication for now to see how you go. In the end it is your decision so make sure you have a proper discussion with your Dr about it and that you are completely happy about any decisions made.
Thank you - I am only on 2 tablets a day at the moment 1000mg & I know by reading on here that a lot of people are on a higher dose! I have some questions wrote down for him so will see how that goes!

DizzyChick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have spoken to my doctor who has agreed with me not to increase my dose. I am going to have another blood test in 3 months and if it hasn't dropped by then he will increase this :)