exercise after lunch

m_cooper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i had a bg of 6.7 before dinner,then we had chicken veg and 2 small potatoes;then we went out for a long walk about 5 miles and when we got back my bg was 11.don't quite understand that as when i go out after lunch for about an hour and test after 2 hours it is usually high 5's or 6+

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
It's probable that the amount of carbs you ate was not enough for the amount of exercise that you took causing a liver dump.

m_cooper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
think i will give up on this testing as i was better not knowing

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
No ,keep testing,the more you do the more you learn!!It is a steep learning curve to begin with but in the end most of it makes sense.

m_cooper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well,i have hardening of the arteries and now i have blocked veins in my feet and the palms of my hands seem to go bright red;so there is not a lot of point making myself depressed with the bg readings

Spiral

You are not at the mercy of your blood glucose readings, you can control them. Really.

If you already have hardening of the arteries you need to get your sugar levels under control. It takes a few days and you need to adapt what you eat as a result of the readings you get.

Whatever dietary approach you take, a succesful diabetic limits the carbohydrate they eat. Carobohydrate's in bread and pasta (any flour products) potato, rice and starchy fruit like banana will increase your blood sugar to unacceptable levels, which is what does the damage.

Reducing the amount of carbohydrate you eat will bring those scary readings down. They won't go away simply by not testsing.

Jo123

My BG's tend to go up after exercise, and I eat no visible carbs at all, ie pots, rice, etc., and also avoid root vegetables, so I don't understand why mine goes up. I might try Sue's sugestion of eating a few more carbs and see if that makes any difference.
Not very helpful, I know but I share your frustration :roll:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Jo ,some of the protein that you eat also converts to glucose in the body so,although you think that you eat no carbs you are still producing some glucose .

Jo123

Sue,
I typically will have a small tin of mackarel with my salad, or a generous handful of nuts so not a massive amount of protein, and if I don't exercise my BG doesn't rise so I don't think the protein is the problem.
I think it seems more likely that it is your earlier point about not eating enough carbs to fuel myself. I am going to get into the habit of testing again. And I have been running which is quite hard work!
Thanks for your help
Jo