Can't be bothered anymore..

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone else get to a point, after a while of having diabetes of just not wanting to care, giving up and just thinking f**k it?

I am at that point right now, I've been diabetic for nearly 8 years now and it's doing my head in!!
Everyone is so supportive but it just doesn't matter to me, I'm so down about it all. I already suffer with depression and anxiety but it just seems to be getting worse.

Please tell me I'm not the only one?

Thanks xo

S

Shar67

No your not the only one, sometimes it takes you into a downward spiral that is hard to get away from. Positives seem a mile away. People can become annoying saying you'll get over it etc, well today I don't feel like that. But you know you get down so you can appreciate the good times
It maybe you need to speak to your GP maybe a change of meds, Remember there is always someone hear to listen, who knows that feeling. Do you look at the jokes and humour section on here, there is a few bits on there that can bring a bit of cheer up.
Anyway your are def not alone

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No your not the only one, sometimes it takes you into a downward spiral that is hard to get away from. Positives seem a mile away. People can become annoying saying you'll get over it etc, well today I don't feel like that. But you know you get down so you can appreciate the good times
It maybe you need to speak to your GP maybe a change of meds, Remember there is always someone hear to listen, who knows that feeling. Do you look at the jokes and humour section on here, there is a few bits on there that can bring a bit of cheer up.
Anyway your are def not alone

Thankyou, this really helped to read. I appreciate it

S

Shar67

I'm glad, if you need to have a scream or just unburden you can do it openly or PM I'm usually awake in the wee small hours

Reactions: 4 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey yes I've had my moments.. However life has a way of carrying you along, and you have to go with the flow. Do you exercise ? It's a good way of releasing endorphins and helps you sleep and feel better or try medititation ? Even a walk somewhere green, park or country, also breathe deeply and slowly if you feel anxious, that also calms the mind. It's about learning how to cope better rather than fighting it ;)

Reactions: 6 people

kirstinn_x_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cant figure out how to start a post on here but im pretty much in the same boat of feeling like i cant win and have no support. For years i had given up. I was drinking loads, at uni, working behind a bar. I feel as though i may aswell do what i want cause no matter how hard i try my control doesnt get any better. I came back from uni and decided to try and get it under control so started carb counting which worked for a bit but recently thats not been working. I'll count the carbs properly and no matter how much i inject end up with high sugars. Dont know what to do anymore, feel like the insulins not working and the future doesnt look bright. My family dont even try to understand my situation or its consequences

rachel162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@keishamarie I think I'm in a similar boat, I'm 21 and have been T1 for 19 years, and for most of my life I've dealt with it fine but over the last six months or so I've just wanted to give up with it all and have a break!

For me the fact that my sugars haven't been well controlled recently (lots of lows and a few seizures at work) has probably contributed to how I feel, but trying to make gradual steps towards improvement as opposed to instant perfection is definitely helping it seem more manageable, especially with the support/advice of everyone on here which I find super motivating as well!

And as Shar67 said, just remember that even when it's tough you are definitely not alone xx

Last edited by a moderator:

rachel162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@kirstinn_x_ are you on injections or a pump?? It could be a base rate problem if you are consistently high (I've recently tried to regain my gradually lost control and discovered that just assuming your basal rates will have stayed the same over 3 years or so isn't the best plan and has been causing me dangerous swings which I hadnt noticed because I wasn't testing enough through the day). Or maybe your carb ratios have changed, or you're more stressed, less active, eating more carbs...unfortunately there are quite a few things that could be causing your highs!

Do you have a supportive diabetes team?? Could you maybe discuss it with them?

I know keeping control is a lot more difficult than people realise and sometimes your levels will be awful for no apparent reason at all. I'm sorry your family is not supportive. But remember there are always people (even if just on this forum) that will be.

So please please please don't give up on yourself!! (and feel free to rant at me if you need to :p)

Reactions: 6 people

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@keishamarie I think I'm in a similar boat, I'm 21 and have been T1 for 19 years, and for most of my life I've dealt with it fine but over the last six months or so I've just wanted to give up with it all and have a break!

For me the fact that my sugars haven't been well controlled recently (lots of lows and a few seizures at work) has probably contributed to how I feel, but trying to make gradual steps towards improvement as opposed to instant perfection is definitely helping it seem more manageable, especially with the support/advice of everyone on here which I find super motivating as well!

And as Shar67 said, just remember that even when it's tough you are definitely not alone xx

Same here for 7years I've been fine just got on with it but over the last 2-3 months I've honestly given up and just don't care. Thank you for commenting though xx

bozy55

Does anyone else get to a point, after a while of having diabetes of just not wanting to care, giving up and just thinking f**k it?

I am at that point right now, I've been diabetic for nearly 8 years now and it's doing my head in!!
Everyone is so supportive but it just doesn't matter to me, I'm so down about it all. I already suffer with depression and anxiety but it just seems to be getting worse.

Please tell me I'm not the only one?

Thanks xo
I think we all go through these feelings at someb point when I feel them coming on I try and do some things to cheer myself up i.e playing music it works for me

Reactions: 2 people

Angiejean

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here for 7years I've been fine just got on with it but over the last 2-3 months I've honestly given up and just don't care. Thank you for commenting though xx
Please don't give up. I am only a mum to a type 1 but I would be heartbroken to think of her feeling like you do. Please ask for help from someone a friend, family. Someone described Diabetes as precious egg you always hold and cannot crack and cannot put done or forget. see if someone can help you carry it for a day and lighten your load. Do you have good medical support?

Reactions: 9 people

Machael

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin
With diabetes there's just one thing you need to be sure of: Keep up with the program. I had a cousin let it get her down most of her life. She resented it. I knew an old woman who'd had it all her life, she didn't resent it, she stuck fast to the program she had to maintain to control it and she had a fuller life than the average person a fraction of her age because she didn't let it get her down, she ran and kept fit and was cheerful at all times. She told me the reason why people develop greater problems is they give up, this can be what let's it take hold of you, when you get down and you resent keeping it under control and you stop bothering. That's what my cousin did and it killed her.

bumblebee95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I totally get what you mean! But I don't know what to say in support except that your not alone in this and it would help to talk to us about your issues. You can message me if you want xx
*hugs*

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, i am new to this forum but unfortunately i am by no means an amateur when it comes to diabetes. I have had type 1 for 24 years now. I should probably point out that i am only 33. I definitely have days, in fact make that months, of resentment towards my condition. I know it isn't the worst medical condition but it certainly is a pain. Anyone who claims otherwise are liars!!

hughsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've been type 1 for 21 yrs now. And I don't know how I have coped. But it's hard too give support. I have my bad days and good days. I would suggest you get the advice from your DR, and DN. It's not easy but you have to stay positive and think of what makes you happy and the things that you hold dear.

mshansen

I've been diabetic since I was 2, and am turning 40 next year - so I haven't really known anything else. In some ways I think that's better, as you don't look back on the days when everything was easier. I still gets **** frustrating, but for me, a CGM has solved most of my problems, and has enabled me to approach difficult situations with (relative) ease. It's expensive, but looking back, I don't really understand how I survived so long without one

hughsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am going to ask about a CGM, and I've tried several insurance companies about funding me. I have a busy job with long hours and sometimes don't have the time to finger pricking.

Sarahkylie7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diabetic for 17 years now, and I have had a few tough times too. A few months ago I was struggling, I would have random highs of 20 at lunch when j hadn't done anything to warrant it. I have an amazing diabetes care team, we worked together to realise it was my background insulin that wasnt carrying me through enough, although my overall hba1c was good I was having spikes and it felt so frustrating. The levemir insulin had worked for me for years, but wasn't working as well anymore. I think I felt it more this time because I was trying to exercise and the balancing act was just too extreme! I would cut my insulin because of a low and it would go too high!! It was only a short period but I felt things getting worse not better!

I am now on a different insulin and I am going on the pump in February( this is for different reasons and me and my partner would like to try for another child) but my point is things can look so so bleak at times and I know u say u have a fab support network, use them. There are ways round things and there is light at the end of the tunnel, don't struggle along, speak to your care team and see what they suggest. Even 17 years into being diabetic we have our ups and downs and things need changing, don't give up! good luck, message me any time x x

Reactions: 3 people

hughsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not everyone is the same. People are different. So what works for someone might not work for another.

Reactions: JMK1954