Inspiring Research Developments for T1

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Folks, fresh off todays newswires...All the best Steve.
The original can be found here..
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 89,00.html

SCIENTISTS have discovered a way to make cells found in the pancreas turn into insulin producers, offering hope of a breakthrough treatment for people with type 1 diabetes.

The research is a collaboration by institutions across Europe and the US.

It shows mice with chemically induced diabetes could be cured of the condition through the manipulation of a single gene (Pax4).

Commenting on the findings, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation research development manager Dorota Pawlak said further work was needed to ensure the technique could be replicated in humans but the discovery was otherwise "extremely promising".

"Imagine this scenario. That we could be capable of turning on one gene, which can then change ... progenitor cells, which already exist in the human pancreas, and turn them into functional beta cells," Dr Pawlak said.

"We don't have to do a transplant.

"We'd be using something which exists already in the individual who has this condition ... reprogramming them."

It is beta cells located in the pancreas that, in a healthy person, produce the insulin needed to regulate the body's blood sugar levels.

However, in a person with type 1 diabetes the immune system mistakes these beta cells for an invading organism and it goes to work killing them off. Finding the gene which -- in mice at least -- could prompt the creation of new beta cells was a step towards a "cure" for the condition, Dr Pawlak said.

There is a hurdle in translating the technique to humans.

"While we are growing new beta cells in humans we would also have to work on the ability to stop the immune system from continuously killing them off," Dr Pawlak said.

"But if we could stop that at the same time then those two strains of medical therapy could really lead to a cure."

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
We went to meeting of the JDRF in May and had a presentation from one of the scientists working on a vaccine to 'turn off' the autoimmune response in people with Type 1. Personally I am very encouraged by all the exciting research being carried out, much of it funded by the JDRF.
Sue

howie

safe! always nice too read.

yeah there's a few immune suppressant type drugs for 'honeymooners' currently in trial so combo them up! hope both parties can continue to gain the £££ for their research and trials.

there is still a possibility that the 'bad' immune suppressant vaccine could work on its own, as it's not proven yet that are beta cells can't just regenerate when their not being attacked. either way!

howie

acron^

Dislikes
Diabetes?
This would be fantastic if it could actually make the distance. Unfortunately, like most T1s here I think, I will remain skeptical until it works on humans. Saying that, if they need volunteers... 8)

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wouldn't it be really weird though (at least for us veterans) to not be diabetic anymore??? I'm sure I'd keep feeling there was something really important I hadn't done, like turn the gas off or take my insulin :lol:

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've had my fingers crossed for 28 years! I think they're stuck now. :D

fergus

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well, I think you're all in for a fantastic surprise in the next 10 yrs or so! I am usually a 'glass half empty' person, much to DH's irritation, but I have to say that the scientists and doctor's I have heard speak at these meetings have really impressed me with their brilliance and dedication. Time will tell ............ :)
Sue

Sweet3x

I can't help feeling that even if this does eventually work, those of us currently posting on the forum over 21 will find it hard to get the treatment.
It's fantastic news, and a real boost in hope for the newly diagnosed peeps, but well .. I'm not going to hold my breath, I'm afraid.

howie

newly diagnosed would probably only need the 'vaccine' discussed earlier in the post, unless they were diagnosed REALLY late. and sure it'll be rolled out for young and those in poor health first but it'll get to us sooner or later. as it doesn't involve any sort of transplant so the patients probably wouldn't need to stay in hospital for more than a few days. not sure if i'm correct but there's about 350,000 T1's in the uk??

actually that sounds like a lot, even if they could do 10,000 people a year that's 35 years!!! mmm sh*t. i'm guessing they could only do it at kings, and not at your local hosp.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
tania
My husband has had T1 for over 30 years and wouldn't describe himself as miserable. More like aan "old misery guts"
Hana