Could he have it?

Worriedmummy

Hi,
Diabetesmum you have been great you knew exactly where I was coming from Thank you x

I went to the Docs they think I am worrying for nothing and that the high was prob down to the Mcds...He def does not have Diabetes as he looks to fit and healthy that was his words :? :? Thought Diabetics did look normal LOL...

Anyway he think the dizziness and tummy pains are down to "tummy migraines" (never heard of it?) Increased thirst is down to the weather.. So looks like maybe it was all in my head. But they did say if he gets any more dizzy ill episodes to go back and they will test further.. They didn't test urine or anything.

So I am no further forward just gonna keep an eye on him, really pleased they have ruled out diabetes although would have been happier if they had done some kind of test. But i'm not sure what they could have done really? LOL

Thanks again for taking the time to respond it was purely advice I was after never a diagnosis. And I don't expect anyone to respond now.

Hope you all keep well x

lionrampant

Well they could have done a blood test right there, or sent away for an HbA1c test to see if his average glucose levels were above normal.

That being said, it's horrifying to think a child hitting 12 is considered normal after a McDonalds. There's some low carbing diabetics here who'd be flagellating themselves if they even got close to that. :shock:

Worriedmummy

Lionrampant,

Thanks for the reply, the doc never mentioned any tests like that just said because he had a low one before bed then his body is dealing with the rise and thats good means his body is working just fine...Think he thought I was just an obsessive mother which I am starting to believe.

What are the "normal levels?" I mean what average should they be, is 12.9 high? The doc was not at all suprised by that made me feel silly.... :eek:

Will just wait and see what happens I don't think my son could have put on the way he was feeling I really thought he was gonna pass out, and the milkshake made him fine 20 mins after. Never seen anything like it before and I have 3 kids so it's not like he's my only one he's the middle child (Not that that makes any difference anyway Lol)

Kind Regards x

caitycakes1

Hi worriedmum,

Just a thought, but if you haven't had another high reading from your son after the 12.9, is it possible the test was contaminted by something on his finger when you tested? I remember nearly passing out with shock at a high reading once, until I remembered I had made my daughter a syrup sandwich and must have got some on the test strip :lol: Please note that I am not giving medical advice but if any child of mine had a reading of 12.9 at ANY time I would be insisting on a test for diabetes, but that's just my opinion.

Hope all is well,

Regards caitycakes x

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If a child's health is causing you to worry,Take the child to the doctor. Write your worries down so you don't forget what you want to say.
If something is going to go wrong with a child, it tends to happen fast.

Worriedmummy

Caitycakes,

Wow I didn't know that could happen? In fairness it was around 90 mins after he had anything to eat and was playing on the playstation but maybe this could have been it? Oh I hope so...I am really tempted to buy him another Mcds and see if it happens again now? This would explain a lol
Although doc didn't seem at all suprised by the reading so I took it as normal after Mcds anyway or is that not the case with your thinking?

Thanks so much for the reply

Worriedmummy

Hanadr,

Thanks for your reply, I took him to the docs this morning who dismissed all my fears just gotta wait and see now, and hope he carries on feeling well.

Regards

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
lionrampant said:
12 is high. Period. Let us know how the appointment goes.

The rest of y'all need to make like a frappuccino and chill.

I am pleased to report that I am now feeling pleasantly frappucchino'ed :D !

caitycakes1

Hi worriedmummy.

I am by no means an expert, and def not on childrens bs levels but I once tested my 24 yr old daughter after she ate a HUGE bar of chocolate and her bs levels never went above 5.0. Two hours later she was back down to 4.2. I cannot imagine why a doctor wouldn't bat an eyelid over a reading of 12.9 (don't know if kids are different but I doubt it) I am type 1 and would cringe if I ever had a reading like that. If you are still worried test him b4 a mcd's then test after (with clean fingers) and put your mind to rest. Mothers should never ignore their instinct. If you are still not happy go back to your gp and insist on testing.

regards caitycakes x

Worriedmummy

Hi

Thanks for your kind reply, He has been feeling fine today I tested him just before his dinner tonight and it was 6.9 tested him 2 hours after and it was 6.4 so am sure these measurements are ok no huge rises today and he has been feeling ok just tired but then that's normal...LOL

The other funny thing is from what i've read on other threads the levels rise at bedtime but his drops ? 5.0...Suppose his body is working great to be able to do that, I will try the Mcdonalds theory just to put my mind at rest but it's not got anywhere near the 12.9 mark the past 2 days so think I was probably worrying for nothing? Keep looking back at the memory on the machine as still can't believe it!

If he looks ill again like Monday perhaps I will test again..

Kind Regards to you all x

croftmanor

Dislikes
arrogant and assertive drivers, people with BO, no excuse for it these days
Hiya
Ref "tummy Migraine"
my son suffered this when he was younger (around 8, he's 22 now), it was triggered by either emotional stress and/or certain foods, reduced a lot when we cut out certain foods, cheese being the worst offender, and chocolate the other, and he grew out of it completely when he moved up to bigger school,
some of the stress was from a bad experience at primary school
worth trying cutting out different foods to see if it clears,
hope all goes well
Crofty

Spiral

cugila said:
lionrampant said:
12 is high. Period. Let us know how the appointment goes.

The rest of y'all need to make like a frappuccino and chill.

Hi Lion .....

A Frappuccino........are you mad. :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

Total carbs 70g in a Caffè Vanilla Frappuccino® Blended Coffee

Have you seen how many carbs are in those things. Still, each to their own I suppose.

A low carb higher protein frapuccino (between 2 to 5 carbs, depending on the ingredients you use), adapted from Rose Elliot's vegetarian low carb cookbook. My adaptations mean that it is a bit thicker in consistency. Delicious!

150ml unsweetened soya milk
55g silken tofu
x2 scoops protein powder
x2 tablespoons of either double cream or soya cream
instant coffee to taste
sweetener to taste

Whizz the lot up with a stick blender and drink straight away :D

Spiral

I don't like instant coffe, except in these frapuccino things. I rarely drink coffe but when I do, I enjoy a decent cup made with my cafitiere.

lionrampant

Spiral said:
I don't like instant coffe, except in these frapuccino things. I rarely drink coffe but when I do, I enjoy a decent cup made with my cafitiere.

Oh alright come back in again then. :mrgreen: