B/S gone mad?

alf15

Hi I was away on holidays in spain there 2 weeks ago and the 1st week back my b/s returned to normal after running alittle high on holidays. But this week my b/s has been metal.

1) I played football twice this week, my b/s was about 6.8 before I started and then after it was 13.9 and then yesterday it was 18.7! And Im not having any food or drink before or during.

2) Went to sleep the past two nights and my b/s was 12 on tuesday night and work up and it was 15.4, then last night my b/s was 6.8 and woke up 10.4.

3) In general this week my b/s has been about 9 or 10 after meals, except tuesday when I was 14 and took corrective shot to bring it down to 12.

This has never happened, any time when I go to sleep my b/s it normally the same as the night before. And when I play sports my b/s normally comes down at nighttime. And when I play football my b/s normally comes down a bit and I top it up with lucazade.

I'm on novarapid and lantus 8 shots at 10pm.

I have a bit of cough and am coughing up some phlegm too. Is my b/s gone mad because Im sick or coming down with something? Or has my liver decided to produce more sugar.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Alf.

As A T1 your Bg levels are supposed to be within these guideline figures.
Fasting (waking)...............between 4 - 7 mmol/l.
2 hrs after meals ..............no more than 9 mmol/l.
If you can get them lowere providing you don't go below 4 mmol/l (Hypo land) then so much the better.

I am not a T1 so I hope that one of the 'expert' T1's can help you out here ? My view is that your diet/Insulin and exercise regimes may need some adjustment.

However, your illness can have a great effect as well, so it is probably best to let things settle down and see if you are getting the same results.

LizzieP

Hi there,
Frustrating, isn't it? I think we all have the odd week like this. :x
It could well be that you are coming down with something which would definitely play havoc with your numbers.

I am by no means an expert (only been doing this for just over a year), but if it were me, I'd wait it out a little bit and see if things went back to 'normal' and if no change, I might be tempted to increase my Lantus dose by a couple of units at a time and see if that improves things. Good luck!

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
HI,
After over 20 years being Type-1, I wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means. However having experience of a quite a few differrent insulins, and a pretty lousy one on Lantus, I'd suggest that there lies your problem. For many people, including myself, Lantus can appear to be working ok for a while, then come the ups and downs and crazy unpredictable patterns (or rather no pattern!).
You may well be coming down with something, and time will tell. However if you continue with these fluctuations, your health will suffer. I was on Lantus for over 4 years, and had no control whatsoever. Nothing I did made any difference to BG levels, it just did it's own thing,and I followed, with a lot of corrective doses,which sometimes made no difference either. One day was never the same as the next. I tried to find a pattern, suchas my menstrual cycle,but there was no pattern. For me Lantus did not do what is says on the bottle! It didn't work. Having changed to pork insulin last May, I no longer have these problems,so It's cut and dried for me.
Aside from the crazy fluctuations, I suffered some horrible side-effects, which have since disappeared since changing coming off Lantus.
See how you get on,and if your blood sugars don't settle down into a manageable pattern, you will need to speak to your doctor. It's no way to live with ups and downs, hypos and hypers-you should be in control of your diabetes, not the other way round.
If you want further advice you should look at the IDDT website, they also have helpline telephone number.
Best of luck
Jus