Variable carb ratio

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
OK, I think I may have already answered this one myself, but before I start experimenting I just wondered if any other T1s on insulin regularly experience significantly variable insulin/carb ratios in a "typical" day? Whatever one of those is...

For years I worked on the basis of 1:10 all the time, only changing this when I went on the pump to:

• 1:12 between midnight and 6pm
    1:16 between 6pm and midnight
Which has worked really well until recently. Now I have the benefit of 24 hour CGM I'm finding I spike after breakfast, so much so that I'm thinking of adding the following ratio to my daily profile:

• 1:8 between 7am and midday
At least having done the maths, this is what would apparently keep me on my tightrope of good control. But can insulin resistance associated with Dawn Phenomenon really be having such a major effect that DOUBLE the amount of insulin is required, when compared with the evening shift? I've already upped my basal levels in the morning so if I miss breakfast, my bg level stays flat until lunch; it's only eating that appears to be the problem!

All thoughts and experiences most welcome. 8)

johnar

My ratio varies a lot through the day, especially when I'm at work. I need approximately double the amount of insulin for lunch when I'm at work when compared to a weekend lunch time!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think I should vary mine not so much by time of day but depending what I'm going to do in the following 2 hours. (after that I change the basal if necessary anyway)
Normally for breakfast, I use 1:14 and thats fine for light activity but if I sit at the computer straight after breakfast I should probably use a higher insulin to carb ratio because the 2 hour reading is always higher than I want when I do that..

randomange

Yup, my ratios vary throughout the day, and my breakfast one is usually double my evening one. (I say usually because I've just decreased my evening meal ratios because of recent routine changes).