Exercise help...

haptagud

Hej,

I've recently been diagnosed, 6 months give or take, my endocrinologist is still testing to find out exactly which type...

But my question is exercise, now I've been active and running 15-20km a week plus football once a week for the last 10 years or so, I'm 6 foot and weigh around 76kg. My problem is that I'm finding my BG spiking after exercise to around 10-12. Which I know is not high HIGH, but it's much higher than I would like.

So are the long term are the high spikes more dangerous than the benefits of the exercise? Or do people have any tips on keeping my BG down?
Thanks

PS I'm on Lantus once a night 11U, and my last H1abc was 5.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I find that exercise like walking will always bring my bg levels down, can't comment on vigorous exercise as I don't do any, but possibly your bg levels are dropping low with vigorous exercise and your liver is doing its job and dumping glucose into your blood to counteract the drop so you finish up with higher levels because of this. Perhaps eating/drinking a few carbs before exercise might be the answer.

haptagud

Hej,

Yes, I also was thinking along similar lines. Last night I had some carbs before to see what would happen. Just under an hour later and my BG was at 12.2, stupid body :evil:

I'll have a chat with my endo next week and see what she recommends...

Jo123

I only run 5k - slowly - but mine go up not as high as yours but much higher than I would like. At the moment I have two peices of 90% dark chocolate about 45 mins before I run, and I don't seem to be getting such a big rise. It's so frustrating and I think experimenting with what and when you eat is the best answer.
I have only impaired fasting bg so different to you but hope this helps as it is so frustrating when you read everywhere that exercise lowers your blood sugar!