Not reacting to sugar......

mmackay20040

Hi,
My BM went down to 1.4 last night while I was sleeping and my other half woke and treated me but had a very difficult time getting my BM to rise. He gave me one of the big 1litre bottles of lucozade, a tube of GlucoGel, 1 chocolate biscuits and eventually had to resort to the Gucagen injection as my BM was just going down and down and down and down and I was beginning to fit. After ALL that, my BM was 4.1.

Any explanations?! Needless to say, I woke up this morning feeling horrific and still do but my BM's 10.4.
Any theories??

Marie xx

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Marie, sorry to hear about this, I'm surprised your bg was "only" 10.4 after an episode like that, I can wake after similar events with levels in the mid-20s. Here's my thoughts:

Have you had any other bad hypos in the last few days? It can take a while for the liver to restock with glycogen after a bad one, and 1.4 is almost certainly low enough to trigger its release.

Did you eat anything different last night? Any alcohol?

What are your fasting levels like? Your basal may need tweaking.

How about your insulin/carb ratio in the evening? Mine is substantially different then, compared to the rest of the day, and I used to have some truly terrible hypos until I got it nailed.

Hope you start to feel a bit more human soon, takes me at least 12 hours normally... :(

mmackay20040

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply. Nothing was out of the ordinary last night, no alcohol. Just one of these things. The only thing I can think of is the last few days have been very stressful but I don't know if that's a contributory factor or not (?).
Still feeling pretty whacked!! Could really do with sleeping but alas, the joys of work!!
It shouldn't be my fasting levels as my basal's have all been recently reviewed and tweaked accordingly.

Thanks for your help.

Marie x

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Historically I've found stress can certainly make my control more brittle, but it's difficult to quantify. If it happens again unexplained, Medtronic should think about replacing your pump?

Check out your evening carb ratio too though - mine is 1:14 compared against 1:8 in the morning (only recently discovered) and 1:12 rest of the day, which obviously makes a huge difference to bolusing...