1 thing your Doctor/Nurse says that annoys you?

Janiept

Expert
I don't know if it's just my GP but every single time (and that's quite a lot lately) she prescribes some new medication she comments on how expensive it is.
I know the NHS is struggling but comments like that really put me on a guilt trip.
I don't go there for the fun for crying out loud.

Reactions: 4 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I don't let Drs and Nurses upset or patronise me. My Practice Nurse who initially dealt with my diabetes sure did her work in trying to bump me off with incompetence before referring me for treatment at the Hospital Diabetes Clinic. I totally dingy her now and wouldn't even see her for a plaster.

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Each time I leave the GP's room - he calls after me and
all patients at the surgery same line of - "take care" !
Sings it out to us all upon leaving - automatically .

Will think he is 'ill' himself the day he stops saying this
same old one liner . . .

It never fails to annoy me - though .
As I do try to take the best care with all that I can do .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
my best one was a couple of years ago -- i was seen by a different doctor at the hospital and he said to me

"you're not Diabetic! "

Me -- are you saying I've been cured then ?

him-- Oh well your HbA1c is normal

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Each time I leave the GP's room - he calls after me and
all patients at the surgery same line of - "take care" !
Sings it out to us all upon leaving - automatically .

Will think he is 'ill' himself the day he stops saying this
same old one liner . . .

It never fails to annoy me - though .
As I do try to take the best care with all that I can do .
"Take care".
That is an expression that particularly irks me. What is it supposed to mean?

Does the person saying it have some premonition of imminent danger? Do they perceive you as generally clumsy or accident prone? Or perhaps they think you couldn't give a ***** about anyone or anything?

It is just a useless thing to say to anyone unless you think they need to be careful about something, but what do they need to be careful about? Could make me paranoid.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nurse "Somebody who does as much exercise as you should be eating at least 300-400g of Carbs a day"

Nurse "You don't need to test 10 times a day, that's OCD"

Nurse "You are having far too many lows look at all these 4s." Me "A 4 isn't a hypo" Nurse "yes it is" Me "No it isn't."

Nurse "Your HbA1c is far too low, I'd be happier if we bought it up by 1%" Me "I plan on reducing my standard deviation and brining it down by another half a percent"

Nurse "Yes I know you like to follow low carb, but it is very risky, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet, most of these people's claims aren't backed up with science, there are good reasons why we make the recommendations we do"

Hi, I have a similar debate going on with my team. I have a nurse I have known for years & now a Swedish woman dueting the same advice.... Lol
Though I can function on a 4. As I / if I start to drop I get the "walk in the room & forget why" stoned esoteric. You know this anyway. But for an insulin dependant driver the law states "5 to drive" that's pretty much the rule of thumb they work from....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Take care".
That is an expression that particularly irks me. What is it supposed to mean?

Does the person saying it have some premonition of imminent danger? Do they perceive you as generally clumsy or accident prone? Or perhaps they think you couldn't give a ***** about anyone or anything?

It is just a useless thing to say to anyone unless you think they need to be careful about something, but what do they need to be careful about? Could make me paranoid.

I have thought about this vague expression of good will myself... It's almost like "may you live in interesting times." Which is said to derive from an old Chinese proverb or curse..? The first of three with increasing severity..