1 week to choose - Omnipod or Vibe?!?

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So my current pump Animas Vibe is about to finish it's warranty and my clinic asked me to choose a new pump. Due to the three appointments I had to view pumps being cancelled by DSN I now have only one week to choose. I'm pretty annoyed about this!! Anyway I did still get to have my diabetes check-up and the consultant seemed very pro omnipod but not having seen it I'm very unsure.

Basically I need a pump with a clear coloured screen as I'm partially sighted so I've narrowed it down to these two. I've been very happy with Animas until recently when I feel the quality of their products has reduced. Plus I had a faulty batch of sets and was quite ill. I'm not sure though that the omnipod would be any better, especially as my clinic confirmed not long ago they had to do a recall on faulty pods.

I'm needle phobic so like that the pod self inserts but dislike the idea I might have to change sets more often due to pod failure (bumps, reservoirs issues etc). I also haven't been able to try pod to see how insertion feels or if I can manage it on my body. I have a lot of moles I have to avoid which I can do with insets.

Also vibe has CGM which my clinic is very pro and I may get funding. The omnipod doesn't have this although my clinic say there may be a link with dexcom coming just like the vibe.

Partly I'm thinking better the devil you know?!? So I'm turning to all of you to help me decide. Thoughts and opinions would be very gratefully received!!!!!

DigiDex

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi MushyPeaBrain,

I am on the omnipod and have been for two years now, I had the Accu-Chek Combo before that. I am severely sight impaired.

Firstly the Omnipod system overall is very reliable, and surprisingly easy to use. Once you have everything fine tuned to your diabetes its so much better than a pump with cannular and tubing. The main reason I moved over was because I couldn't see any air bubbles in the tubing leading from the pump to the cannular. The omnipod does try to remove air bubbles during its priming phase, although you should make every effort to remove bubbles in the syringe you use to fill the pod. The PDM (Blood Tester and remote control for the pod) is a little bit tricky to get around initially, but after a few weeks it all becomes clear, I now don't hardly look at it doing the pod changes I just know what buttons to press and in what order. Testing is very simple as is the entry of carbs. Then you just let it go and start pushing insulin in to you.

The big pluses for me:
  • No Tubing, less things to get tangled in, less worries about air in the system.
  • Waterproof! Its so nice to be able to just take a shower/bath when you want without having to unhook yourself from the pump.
  • Applying pod is a simple process: put insulin in, it primes, stick the pod to your preferred site, a bit of a sting as it puts the cannula in and you are off and running.
  • Screen is OK, with a magnifier you can get around it OK. For testing and entering carbs is big enough fonts on screen.
  • Problems: It either does a SOS morse code style beep for warning, which generally is low on insulin. And a noise solid beep when theres a problem!
  • Programming: Very easy to tweak settings, you can copy and paste your existing settings to a new profile and tweak. You can keep lots of programs, so its very versatile for all your needs.
If you have good diabetic nurses they will have it all set up like your old pump and its a breeze to get used to after that.

At first you may find it feels strange when its on you, as its much heavier than a cannula. Also where you locate it may change because of it being a bigger object attached, so you can knock it. Or it might be uncomfortable in certain places when sleeping. But after a while yu don't even notice its there.

Hope that helps!

Aaron

Reactions: 4 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I believe the reservoir is a lot smaller on an Omnipod, so more changes = more needles?

I never had bubble problems with the Vibe and of course it's also waterproof so you can shower or swim in it.

I am jealous of the ability to copy a basal profile, then edit it. That is a feature every pump should have, but the Vibe doesn't alas.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Just remember with the pod there's only one needle type so the choice is like it or lump it. With the vibe at least you can use different infusion sets.

Reactions: 4 people

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Spiker I was supposed to be able to trial a pod but that was with the DSN who kept cancelling the appointments. Now I probably can't get to see her this week so a trial won't happen.

@CarbsRok that's a very good point about the cannula type that I hadn't considered! I've never tried an angled set so might not work for me. Also I have seen a lot of reviewers saying the pod hurts. I know this is a personal thing to each user but like you say if they hurt me I have to stick with them.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have decided to stick with the vibe as there isn't time to do a proper trial with the omnipod. Also I am seriously considering CGM. Thank you everyone for your help in deciding though :)

Reactions: 2 people