HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Strange one today.

6.2 at waking up (no idea why)

Before lunch today (260g baked salmon fillets & I sliced red pepper in same) 5.3

Exactly 2 hours 11 minutes after 4.7

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Ps every night I have 2 small plain oat cakes with 2 small squares of cheese. Readings vary every morning, very similar but always in the low 5.x
What’s strange? Meters are not precise. You may have slept better or worse particular nights, be a little more stressed, or just a bit variable still. Lunch obviously suited you to be back below pre meal levels. The slightly higher reading pre lunch may be a bit of a hangover from the slightly higher waking levels. Looks like it’s going much better overall. Are you feeling full and eating plenty of protein and fats to build you back up?

Not sure the oat cakes are a choice I’d make but your figures overall look good. It might help to have a trial without them so long as you are not going to bed in danger of a hypo, is that why you have them then? If at any point you stop the gliclizide you wouldn’t have that worry on just Metformin.

If you change your carb intake from where they are now (eg didn’t need the build up drinks for some reason or less of them or cut carbs elsewhere you are low enough in bgl now I’d be a bit concerned about going hypo and would want to continue monitoring closely and to get the diabetes medication reviewed with a view to reducing or dropping the glic.

Reactions: jomar_uk

jomar_uk

What’s strange? Meters are not precise. You may have slept better or worse particular nights, be a little more stressed, or just a bit variable still. Lunch obviously suited you to be back below pre meal levels. The slightly higher reading pre lunch may be a bit of a hangover from the slightly higher waking levels. Looks like it’s going much better overall. Are you feeling full and eating plenty of protein and fats to build you back up?

Not sure the oat cakes are a choice I’d make but your figures overall look good. It might help to have a trial without them so long as you are not going to bed in danger of a hypo, is that why you have them then? If at any point you stop the gliclizide you wouldn’t have that worry on just Metformin.

If you change your carb intake from where they are now (eg didn’t need the build up drinks for some reason or less of them or cut carbs elsewhere you are low enough in bgl now I’d be a bit concerned about going hypo and would want to continue monitoring closely and to get the diabetes medication reviewed with a view to reducing or dropping the glic.

Thank you so much for your reply.

I take either the oat biscuits with a little cheapest as was advised “it gives my body something to work on while I am asleep).
In place of that sometimes I have 3 digestive biscuits with one of my drinks (I have to have 5 of the ensure plus drinks a day and my last one within an hour of bedtime).

Not feeling full tbh, I still have a bloated tummy from the Crohns flare but trying to use as much of the advice in here as I can.

I’m still on “reducing steroids” so when that ends I have to phone the community diabetic nurse for advice (I’m on 40mg now once a day as opposed to 80mg ).

I definitely am testing more as they asked me on waking and before my last meal but took onboard the advice in here and testing before meals and 2 hours after.

I can see improvements and greatly encourages me.

Kind regards & many thanks again, JoMar

kyler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing really
Hi guy's,
For those that don't know, I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes just over a month ago. Since then I have made drastic changes to diet and exercised more, I've lost 9 pounds so far so thought things were on track.
I've been taking a fasting test in the morning which has been between: 4.4mmol and 5.9mmol.
Today all I had was omelette for brunch and then dinner I mate spaghetti bolognase, never used a lot of pasta and a cup of tea with some honey and two hours later my blood sugar rocketed to 10.9mmol so I'm that annoyed, I went and ordered ice-cream and a fudge cake because I don't know why my blood is going so high and I'm fed up. Any help will be appreciated
Well pasta and the honey in my case would shoot my readings up but I would not now ( been T2 for 10 years) be over worried but knock off the ice cream and fudge cake as this would just drive it up higher and will take longer to get back under control its not easy keeping under control just try and keep your daily carbs intake low.i find food like pasta,rice,fish & chips white bread,cake and others are off limits to me others may be ok with some of these foods its not easy but don't let it run your life early days for you.

Reactions: jomar_uk