10 Year Old Type1 Son Hates Having To Eat Breakfast. Any Advice Pls ?

Rosieroo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Some people just don't want to eat first thing . Breakfast is my fave meal of the day.
Does his school Have a breakfast club or anything. Could he not get something there or take something from home to eat just before class . That way there is a bit of more time of he feel like eating first thing before school.

StewartH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having followed the standard advice of ,eating 3 meals a day and injecting insulin in the correct proportion, for more that 30 years, I know the struggle you are having to cope with. I now understand it is impossible to get blood sugar levels consistently in target with the many variations that life throws in. I got really strict on myself for about 2 years, eating at exactly the same time and the same amounts and types of carbs, I was even eating exactly the same foods ( really boring) and even that did not make it possible to get a good even BG level.

I am of course still insulin dependent but I now have fairly normal BG levels all day with very little variation through the day. How did I do that?

I did this by changing my diet to Very Low Carb. I feel sort of cured and wish only that I had discovered this many years ago.

I can only imagine the struggle that you go through day after day, to manage you son's condition. That is a really tough job and you have my total respect.

Please allow me to encourage you do the research and consider this change in diet for your son. Lots of great information on this website and many others.

I share this with you as i am honestly sure it will make all your lives so much easier....and more healthy. Best of luck and my best wishes.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't eat breakfast either. As long as my blood sugar is within range I don't need to eat so do not need to inject fast acting glucose. I manage on the long acting glucose that is working in the background all day and night. I can go all the way to lunchtime or brunchtime before needing to inject fast acting insulin to cover the food eaten. We can be quite flexible with food as long as we can check our blood sugar levels to see what is happening!

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
It sounds like your son is acting like a teenager already, based on what mine were like (needed the threat of a bucket of water to get them out of bed and ready for school!) and fortunately I didn’t have the stress of worrying about their BG.

Is there anything really tasty you can tempt him with? e.g. bacon, sausage, etc. on wholemeal bread, or something American like pancakes/waffles (again with wholemeal flour)?

I appreciate you won’t have much time for cooking if you need to get yourself ready for work, so perhaps you can cook in advance and just reheat in the morning.

Best wishes.