11 year old daughter just been diagnosed with type 1

Just Laura

That's great; well done to Ellysse. It certainly makes us realise just how amazing our children really are.

I think having a good nursing team makes all the difference - if they're anything like ours, they'll be there for you whenever you need.

Well done to both of you.

x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Kayes Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
That's great news and big well done to Ellysse with her injections. It's amazing how resilient kids can be. Sounds as if you are getting good support too. I know it's early days but my daughter is 11 in two weeks so same age as Ellysse so if she wants to email message someone in a similar position then just drop me a PM anytime, I'm sure Kaye would be happy to chat or answer any questions. : )

Lorni

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Awww you're all so lovely!
I liked the point that I don't have to tell everyone about Ellysses condition, she can tell who she wants, I think it's because I'm wanting everyone to know because I want them to look out for hypos/hypers etc.
I do understand I need to respect her privacy though.
How long has Kaye had the condition @Kayes Dad ?

Kayes Dad

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Kaye was diagnosed in Sept 2012, the 17th to be exact, that day is still so fresh in my mind. She was 9 at the time. She coped really well from the start and has now been on an insulin pump for almost a year.

Yeah the point about telling everybody straight away is quite funny. I still do it. Kaye doesn't bother too much but after I think...did I really need to blurt that out? When she first started taekwondo the first thing I said to the instructor was " this is Kaye she has type 1 diabetes". I immediately felt so bad but couldn't help it. It's a good bit of advice to let them decide themselves.

Kaye is doing a presentation to her guide unit about T1 diabetes next month. It will be good for her and also help the other guides learn a bit more about it. When she first went back to school after her diagnosis she read out a few paragraphs about type 1 diabetes to her class as a way of telling them about the condition she now has. She done this off her own back, it was all her idea. I think also she just didn't want a million questions all at once. Her class mates and teachers have been great and very supportive.

Lorni

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kayes Dad that sounds like a really good idea, I had thought of Ellysse doing something similar but me going into the classroom with her in case there were questions she was unsure of etc.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Lovely to see you a little more positive, you're doing a great job.:D There may be blips here and there along the way, but you will both get through them together. All the best and take care x

Lorni

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone!
Ellysse is and always has been a very adaptable girl.
We've both been through an awful awful lot, in fact, Ellysse has been through more stuff than probably most adults would go through in their life time.
She's going to take this as 1 of those "things" too. She knows how serious it is and she knows what she needs to do too, we'll both be in it together xx

Reactions: 7 people

Valaraki

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lorni
My son is 12 and was only diagnosed with type 1 10 days ago. He is being amazing and right from the start he wanted to do his own insulin and testing his blood. The only thing we doible check now is that he is giving the right doze for the carbs he has eaten. It has been amazing how quick he has adapted, we are even getting told off for fussing over him!!!

cuddles1985

I was diagnosed at 11 also. I led a reletively normal life still went out with my friends done everything the same. Once youve both got on top of everything and got your heads around it youll feel much better about everything. Ive had for 18yrs now and im still learning about it all its never ending really. But the main thing to remember is that she can lead a normal life!

Emsley75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed when I was 8, I'm now 39 with a 13 yr old of my own and still going strong! There will be ups and downs but you'll get through it and learn as you go. Do be aware there is a period of time early on called the 'honeymoon period', you think you've got it all Sussed then it all goes a bit belly up but again you can soon get it back under control so don't panic!! The advice/support/medication available today is so much better so stay strong :0)

Jessicahib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter Jessica was diagnose on 19th August 2014 at she is 11 as we'll - she is taking it very well - it's my other half she the one not coping well - she feels like she on her own and getting very anxious -school starts in 2 days and don't know how's she going to cope

Jessicahib's dad

Last edited by a moderator:

Gem85

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Jessicahib hi there my 10 yr old son got diagnosed on 11/08. I took him to docs that morning cause of a fear he was starting to drink and wee excessively after a routine wee sample and bg test was told to go straight to children's ward at hospital cause my fear was confirmed that she thinks he may have t1. After a few tears of panic! When we got to hospital his bg had doubled without eating or drinking anything:-/
They did their tests and confimed it was t1 and started him on insulin straight away. He has been sooo brave through it all ( my head is still all over place) he has novo rapid b4 each meal & levimir at night. I too am worried about him going back to school but I've been told he can't until our diabetic nurse have been in to train teachers and to give them an understanding what to look for incase of hypo/hyper. I think kids are so strong when it comes to something like this cause they are oblivious to the consequences that we have been informed of when it's not controlled or treated properly!
Will let u know when my son gets to go back and gets on( feel sick of the thought of him being there already) I do understand it is all so mind blowing

Jessicahib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The other half has heard from DNS today and is a lot happier - managed to contact the school and had a visit around the school showing her where and when they can do the jabs - really nice - out of 1000 children there is two in school with t1 and they assure her they will there for her if needed - very assuring - --- she's excited about going school and sure she will cope very well

Emsley75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The schools are usually really good. I think it's important to make sure their friends know a bit about it too or maybe their tutor group so they can help look out for them. I know some schools will have someone go in and talk about it to students to raise awareness. Make sure they wear an ID band just in case a teacher doesn't know (supply teacher maybe). You can get some pretty nice looking ones these days!

HettyFeather

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My 10 yr old was diagnosed in august 2014.

I have taken to it quite easily. My child is completely different. She is still in denial. She wont take her Injections at all.

Nothing in our lives changed. We didn't worry about going swimming, out for meals, school, after school clubs. A few people have been shocked at this.

Emsley75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it is great that you haven't allowed it to change anything, that's the way it should be.
Are you having to do your daughters injections for her?

HettyFeather

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Emsley - yes i do. She tried once to do it herself but it didn't go well so she hasn't tried it since. She is also very reluctant to let me do the injections too.

Emsley75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Emsley - yes i do. She tried once to do it herself but it didn't go well so she hasn't tried it since. She is also very reluctant to let me do the injections too.
What a shame, I've always hated other people doing it for me! Good that she lets you do it though, hopefully it means she is more likely to come round to it, there was a boy diagnosed at the same time as me and he used to run round the house and lock himself in the bathroom to avoid it!
Quite often the doctors/nurses tell you to just 'stick it in' but I must confess to lightly touching the surface of the skin with the needle a little before I insert as I find I can tell if it is going to hurt from doing that. I also recently found this site about injection sites which helps to make sure you don't accidentally put it somewhere more painful: http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7261
I hope it is useful to you and your daughter