searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Ok I see a lot of questions about what happens renewal wise for HGV license when on insulin

So I've created this post, and will update it as things happen.. this will give anyone an idea of timescale and what's needed

It's a process I've been through multiple times... so feel free to ask questions about the process.. of course this applies mostly to hgv/pcv and for these classes of vehicles licences are only issued for 12 months

So..

12/01/22 dvla printed and posted renewal documents... late as renewal date 9/2/22 should be sent 56 days before
22/01/22 received renewal documents... yes took 10 days to arrive
24/1/22 posted completed forms and medical questionnaire back by special delivery.. Did not complete the D4 medical as not required this year d4 required every 5 years from the age of 45..

8/2/22 not heard anything from DVLA and license expires tomorrow.. section 88 can only be used if there is an application in progress.. so phoned dvla after 1hr20minutes listening to nasty music managed to speak to a human.. they confirmed receipt of my application for renewal and its pending review by the medical panel

Section 88 can be used if
1 there is an application in progress (it is)
2 your care team agree you can drive and don't think your application should fail (they are happy)
3 your license has not been revoked (ok here too)

I meet these standards so can continue to drive for upto 12 months on my expired license.. but there will be issues with hire cars and courtesy cars if they do a licence check

14/2/22
The company I work for uses a service called DriverCheck, basically a service that ensures drivers are properly licensed and entitled to drive... I accept this as I transport HazChem. Anyway they called today to advise the company I no longer have a driving license :) fortunately I've never hidden the diabetes from them and have always kept them upto date with license expiry details and my rights under section 88.. I know some people don't like to inform employers of illnesses but there are times when it's beneficial that they know

4/4/22 Got a letter from DVLA asking for me to book an appointment with my GP, this is a little unusual as the last 3 years they have skipped that step and said going to the consultant first speeds thing up.. so i wonder if they are doing this to slow things down?

5/4/22 got call from GP asking me to book and appointment.. appointment made for 21/4/22

IMPORTANT NOTE

If you digi card/tacho is due to expire do it before your driving license expires.. as you will not get one until your license is renewed!!

Will update as thing change..

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaylee

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@searley, there needs a sticky put on this thread so it's up the top of any T1 forum.

Edited for politically correctness / wokeism etc.

Last edited:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@searley, there needs a sticky put on this thread so it's up the top of any T1 forum.

It seems to me to be in the correct sub-forum (Driving and the DVLA), after all, T2s, T3s etc may have similarly restricted licenses depending on medications etc?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems to me to be in the correct sub-forum (Driving and the DVLA), after all, T2s, T3s etc may have similarly restricted licenses depending on medications etc?
No problems about making it a sticky, as it's mostly T1's that ask the same question here tho'...

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Why T1? It is applicable to anyone on insulin which has nothing to do with political correctness or wokeism. I hope we can avoid "type'ism".
And why "sticky"? Anyone can use the search function although the driving sub forum isn't huge so this thread will be relatively easy to find.

Maybe it would be useful to include an insight for non-UK drivers?
What happens in Australia for drivers on insulin?

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What happens in Australia for drivers on insulin?
Depending on what state they live in, they would go to the government transport department where they live, and fill the relevant forms in. Once your records have been checked, and all is in order, you get your new licence issued the same day.

If your town / area does not have a transport department, you go to the local police station and do the paper work there.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

I'd say it's in the right place as I say in the first paragraph 'on insulin'

so that applies to any diabetic on insulin not just T1

I'm just hoping that it may help a few how are worried about driving and jnsulin. it's never worried me and the process is quite easy... but slow