15, taking a break off diabetes

Johnd666

Im 15 diabetic. 5 injections a day and regular bg testing and calculating. I have recently found out im getting an insulin pump and next week..im happy about it but since this i have rebelled against injecting and bg testing. For some reason after months of desperation for a pump i now dont want one plz help

JConnor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no expereince or knowledge i can share about pumps. Its normal to want to rebel abit in teenage years.
Knowing you are finally getting a pump must be nerve wracking and scary, maybe this is why you are changing your mind?
As i have said i not much help. All I can say is give it a try.
Keep up your injections in the meantime please dont stop them, i have recently done this rebelling (Im 24) and really doesnt help things in fact it will make you feel worse.
Can you talk to your parents? Hopefully someone experienced will be along soon
Good Luck

Jess

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Johnd666 said:
Im 15 diabetic. 5 injections a day and regular bg testing and calculating. I have recently found out im getting an insulin pump and next week..im happy about it but since this i have rebelled against injecting and bg testing. For some reason after months of desperation for a pump i now dont want one plz help

Hi John,
it's known as the fear of the unknown.
You will love and hate the pump to start with :lol: It takes a few weeks or more to programe your basals. Which is a lot of hard work but oh wow once you have done that your quality of life will be so much better. I call mine my pocket pancreas :)

Can you give your DSN a ring and ask to talk to her or him? Explain your worries and fears about the pump and take it from there perhaps.

tazzle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi john :wave:

I cant give you any info about pumps I am afraid...... others here will be able to give you much more advice than I can ...I am not even diabetic yet :roll: . I am however soooooooooooooooo old I can remember my cousin saying the same thing as you ----wanting a break from diabetes ......... waaaaaaaaaay back before pumps. his was just a general aaarrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh :evil: :evil: :evil: rant at diabetes.

I guess (well kinda know) its a stage everyone goes through with any life altering condition ( I am doing the same with arthritis :evil: ) ......... and if you can hear most women about to give birth ..... well we all say we dont wanna do this we are getting off the bed and going home :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: . I thinks its the feeling of loss of control .... add the fluctuating teen hormones and you are well into a challenge.

Hang tight fella.... I am sure there are more folk around same age as you and been in the same situation that will be able to talk you though this .

elainechi

you.ve got to give the pump 6mths to decide if its for you........i think its just something new and a bit scary......maybe by rebelling at the mo is just an anxiety thing......my friends boy is getting his for xmas..his mum thinks its great...he still wants halo4 game!!!!!! good luck with it x

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi John,
I know this is really scarry at the moment, once you get your pump give it a go for a good long time before you make any decisions. Everyone says it takes a good few months/weeks to pick up basal rates etc but for me I was sorted within a week I found it easy peasy. As for increased testing and everything, I do less now than when I was on injections (I had a bad time on injections so a pump was a god send). If you get yours before christmas then see the good side of eating what you want and until you burst. I could never do that on injections. The main thing I love about my pump is I can lie in for as long as I want I don't have to get up to eat and take injections if you want to skip meals and snacks that's fine as well. I think the main thing that scares people about a pump is that it's attched to you 24/7. That's the tricky thing to get your head around, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest and I've been on mine 6 1/2 years you get used to it, I've even named mine. For doing differnt sports and activities I keep mine on all the time I just turn it down depending on what I'm doing. I can rock climb, kayak, dive, hike. I'm regularly picked up and hurled round by my mates and never really have much problems it all depends where you put your site and pump. When your on your pump you don't have 5 injections a day just one every 3 days (it is possible to keep it in a bit longer as well as long as your sugar is fine and there's no redness).
But if you are getting really stressed about it then please talk to someone whether it's your family or your nurse or doctor you shouldn't feel pressured into getting something your not happy with. If they is anything specific that you don't like about the pump let us all know and maybe we can reassure you.
Good luck Laura. :thumbup:

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Johnd666 said:

Hi John,

Whilst, I have no experience of the pump, I am after one myself, after 15 years of being diabetic, I think it would help me a lot. I do 5 or more injections a day at the moment and I went through an extended rebellion against my injections from the age of 14, even now, I don't BG Test as often as I should be, but I'm improving that as I want a pump. Rebellion is so common for diabetics in their teen years and due to a trauma when I was 14, I didn't look after myself again until I was 19. It is not a situation I would recommend for anyone. I never felt good about it and no one in my life did either. You only feel worse for not injecting.

I think a pump is scary as it's something completely new, and in the UK, it's not that common to have a pump (some 1 in 1000). But all the hassle of taking a regular injection will be gone, you monitor your BG Level's and adjust accordingly, it's a real innovation and makes having a 'normal' lifestyle slightly more possible.

I think you ought to give the pump a chance, if you do and you feel like it's not for you, then let your diabetic team know and they can get you back onto injections. But there's a ton of people to talk to if you have questions on pumps. Here, being the first place. There are Pump Reps, who'll be more than happy to chat to you or to meet with you and discuss the pump, there's also a huge diabetic community on websites such as Tumblr, who again, would be more than happy to chat and share their experiences of the pump with you.

:D Good luck.