16 tests in a day

sophie7

It would definitely be worth doing a CGM for a few days. Last year I got an insulin pump that does CGM, and it is brilliant - the advantage is that it shows the fall/rise rate of you BG, so you get the best possible picture. Really worth trying, and the hospital i'm at put me on a CGM when I was on levimer when I was 11 (about 6 years ago).

As for the test strips - I feel really guilty now as I seriously over-test. I'm now at about 8 times a day, but about a couple of months ago was more at 12... my BG yo-yos so much, and my low and high warnings have become muddled so I can't do the guessing game anymore to correct. I do occasionally buy boxes though, but the meter i'm on they cost £40 each! It's ridiculous! As a fellow type 1 I don't think there is anything wrong with getting the strips on prescription. Technically, the tighter your control is the less the risks of complications when you're older - surely the tax payer/government would much rather £15 out of pocket now?!

Anyway, whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck :) I had a nightmare with levimer personally but then there is supposed to be an age restriction of 16 apparently, and I was 10 when I was on it...! I have so much respect for people on injections, as I struggled with them quite a bit - could never get BG in control.

Good luck!

Sophie

alaska

As it happened, my testing through the day was very helpful.

I'm now on 3 Levemir injections a day -split 8 hours apart- and seem to have eliminated the periods of high blood glucose I'd been having in early evenings and before bed.

I wish being able to test 12 times a day was considered normal. We could possibly live to 90 that way like Bob Krause :)