18 months wait for 'annual' test

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I received a letter from my GP practice to inform me that I will only get tested annually on my birthday. My birthday is in December, so it means I will have to wait 18 months since my last test in June 2020. Do you think that is far too big a gap? I certainly do.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A number of tests are annual, and having them at your birthday isn't unusual for surgeries as it helps the timing I guess but 18 months does seem a long time

Which tests are they? Hba1c guidance is every 6 months, or 3 months when newly diagnosed, so if it is those I would be more concerned and asking why.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/type-2-diabetes/going-regular-check-ups/

Reactions: berylc

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I received a letter from my GP practice to inform me that I will only get tested annually on my birthday. My birthday is in December, so it means I will have to wait 18 months since my last test in June 2020. Do you think that is far too big a gap? I certainly do.
It is a big gap - see if you can talk to your DN to get it done sooner. I’m supposed to have one every 6 months however my last test was in October 2019 as the surgery stopped routine blood tests and now a couple of HCAs have, or have had, COVID so blood tests are only being done for emergencies etc. I keep a closer eye on my FBS than I have done and check more after meals etc so that I have a rough idea what my BS is doing.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
A number of tests are annual, and having them at your birthday isn't unusual for surgeries as it helps the timing I guess but 18 months does seem a long time

Which tests are they? Hba1c guidance is every 6 months, or 3 months when newly diagnosed, so if it is those I would be more concerned and asking why.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/type-2-diabetes/going-regular-check-ups/
Hba1c and cholesterol due. Blood pressure etc
Last done June 2020
I have always been tested 6 monthly, until the practice nurse took early retirement, since then no contact at all, apart from letter telling me an 18 month wait.

Last edited:

pinkjude

Hba1c and cholesterol due. Blood pressure etc
Last done June 21.
I have always been tested 6 monthly, until the practice nurse took early retirement, since then no contact at all, apart from letter telling me an 18 month wait.
I was left for 17 months due to covid and only got seen because I rang for something else and was told I should have called and booked it myself not waited to be contacted. That was last November. My BS had gone up. I had another test Weds so waiting for results now. My Nurse always leaves me 12 months usually but I wanted to be more proactive this time.

pinkjude

It is a big gap - see if you can talk to your DN to get it done sooner. I’m supposed to have one every 6 months however my last test was in October 2019 as the surgery stopped routine blood tests and now a couple of HCAs have, or have had, COVID so blood tests are only being done for emergencies etc. I keep a closer eye on my FBS than I have done and check more after meals etc so that I have a rough idea what my BS is doing.
Great results. Can I ask is cholesterol tested as part of the Ha1bc or is that done seperately but with the same blood?

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Great results. Can I ask is cholesterol tested as part of the Ha1bc or is that done seperately but with the same blood?
It’s should be taken at the same time but in a different vial. I usually have my Thyroid checked annually as well so hopefully I’ll get that done soon.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Mine said something similar so I reminded them of the NICE guidelines that T2's once diagnosed should get tested twice a year.. guess what happened next.. every 6 months.

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and HSSS

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I still haven't had some of my annual checks that were due towards the end of June 2020. My 6mth blood tests were done at 10mths by my GP but no follow-up and no diabetic clinic eye or foot checks. My next '6mth' check is due soon counting from the last blood tests but I'm not holding my breath.
I would try calling them, with the NICE guidelines at hand.
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I phoned up my Dr surgery and spoke to a receptionist. I explained I'm not happy waiting 18 months for blood tests, so I have a telephone appointment with a dr. It seems the new nurse who does the blood tests isn't trained up on diabetes. So watch this space!

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I still haven't had some of my annual checks that were due towards the end of June 2020. My 6mth blood tests were done at 10mths by my GP but no follow-up and no diabetic clinic eye or foot checks. My next '6mth' check is due soon counting from the last blood tests but I'm not holding my breath.
I would try calling them, with the NICE guidelines at hand.
https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng28
Quotes NICE to the receptionist and Got offered a phone consultation next Tuesday. Thanks for advice xx

pinkjude

I phoned up my Dr surgery and spoke to a receptionist. I explained I'm not happy waiting 18 months for blood tests, so I have a telephone appointment with a dr. It seems the new nurse who does the blood tests isn't trained up on diabetes. So watch this space!
I went to the hospital to have my test

pinkjude

It’s should be taken at the same time but in a different vial. I usually have my Thyroid checked annually as well so hopefully I’ll get that done soon.
Got results yesterday but for some reason they didnt do cholesterol even though it was on the form. Level up to 84 so want me on Metformin

pinkjude

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I managed to get mine on Monday with the DN Telephone appt next Wednesday

LindaManville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Jogging
You could try calling them and explain your not comfortable
Waiting so long, they may not realise you
Have that big of a gap.
Mine is overdue and I called to query this,
They said they could do bloods but no review
Yet because of covid. They would do on the phone though.

Reactions: KK123

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try calling them and explain your not comfortable
Waiting so long, they may not realise you
Have that big of a gap.
Mine is overdue and I called to query this,
They said they could do bloods but no review
Yet because of covid. They would do on the phone though.
I had to keep ringing to get my bloods done and the HCA did the foot checks, BP and weight at the same time. I’ve got my review with my DN over on the phone next Wednesday - it’s only to discuss my results so I’m not concerned about not going into the surgery again.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My practice does the annual mot so bloods/urine and chat with the nurse and nerve tests

However I can get a hba1c more often if I call and ask for a test form