1hour walk insulin sensitivity

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey i wanted to ask everyone does anyone here walk for a hour as part of exercise and does it help with with insulin sensitivity as im trying to do some exercise as part of my daily routine.

D

Deleted Account

Exercise is very personal: the affect on your diabetes depends on the type of exercise, the length of exercise, your fitness at that exercise, your BG when starting and how much insulin you have on board.
I do a lot of exercise, try not to start with a BG higher than 8 or lower than 5 and find
- running for 20 minutes reduces my BG
- climbing for 90 minutes increases my BG
- walking for 4 hours makes no difference.

If you do not normally walk, it is likely to reduce your BG. Give it a go and find out.
Expect the affect to change if you do the same thing every day as you get fitter.

Reactions: EllieM

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with @helensaramay all exercise is personal and varies. However, any physical activity is beneficial, not just for diabetes but for overall physical and mental health. Walking is excellent excercise. Go for it.

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks for reply guys hopefully will start adding walking into my daily routine

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I try to do about half an hour per day. Exercise will affect everybody differently, try it out and make sure you test often, and bring some lollies just in case!

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
update was out for about 2hours was walking around i think i should of took less insulin lol as sugar went to 5hour after injection sugar went to 5mmol. and still was slowly going lower after into 6th hour but yeah walking defo helped lol

Reactions: rom35

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The walking will lower your blood glucose so that is a good thing if you can lower your insulin to compensate.
What makes you more insulin sensitive is muscles so the next step could be some squats, park bench press ups or dips to work your big muscles groups.
As far I know the less insulin you can use the better so both things work but in different ways!

Reactions: LucySW

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
hey i wanted to ask everyone does anyone here walk for a hour as part of exercise and does it help with with insulin sensitivity as im trying to do some exercise as part of my daily routine.
Hi, I don't know about insulin sensitivity but for the last 4 days I've got my little bot into gear and gone for a 25-30 min walk after supper. All I know is that I feel better when I get back AND my fasting BG in the morning has been 4 something. It was piddling down tonight but I still went out and feel so much more energised now. I can recommend it and I'm not a fan of walking and prefer my bike for cycling into town and around but my old-fashioned but very reliable pedometer doesn't work on the bike. I haven't had to bolus either any day this week because of not eating manic amounts of carbs. Oomi noodles left me stuffed.

Reactions: KK123

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The walking will lower your blood glucose so that is a good thing if you can lower your insulin to compensate.
What makes you more insulin sensitive is muscles so the next step could be some squats, park bench press ups or dips to work your big muscles groups.
As far I know the less insulin you can use the better so both things work but in different ways!

Totally agree, I do strength training and HIIT workouts and both have a tremendous effect on my blood sugars, up to 24-36h later (I have to massively lower my insulin or eat more). They do raise them a bit while I do the workouts but if I add a bit of steady-state cardio right after they usually are ok!