1st week a diabetic

Derbysocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was told to test 4 times a day. I test before every meal & just before I go to bed. So if you take the sugary medication just after you test, 3-4 hours later when you test again just before your next meal your blood glucose may be ok as sugar raises blood glucose quickly & disappears quickly,

Dexterdobe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Being unwell and seeing BG levels soar
Hello I’m now 2 month in to this diabetes and I’m so fed up.
I’m 64 kg and a healthy vegetarian 47 year old woman on a low carb diet most days approx 30g carb daily and still my blood glucose is sky high. Last week before bed my reading was off the monitor scale so above 33.3mmol I’m in late teens and 20s most days even with Metformin 2000mg and now increased gliclazide to 240mg daily I’m exhausted and just feel lousy all the time. Nurse at GP surgery said it will come down it’s a slow process. Some people have said I may be late onset type 1 but nurse refuses to consider anything other than type 2.
There’s no history of diabetes within my family just me.
It’s driving me crazy I’m a single mum with 2 kids and each day is now a struggle.
Please help.
I'm not an expert, but I do know that a reading off the scale on a BG meter is potentially very serious. My advice is to get to the A&E department of your local hospital and tell them you feel like you are going to pass out. They will investigate properly and hopefully get you on the road to recovery.

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was also misdiagnosed as type 2 by the nurse at the GP surgery. Despite weight loss and ketones she could get past the fact I was in my 40s. A trip to A&E when my blood sugars wouldn't drop below 30 only to find I was actually very ill - registrar couldn't believe I was still standing. So rather than worry either Google the number for the diabetes team at your local hospital or go to A&E.