2 hour dip?

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wondering how common this is. If I eat a low GI / hi Fat meal I can find that my insulin can start going in before my food leading to a 2 hour dip rather than a 2 hour spike...

I know that the whole point of having low GI and combining fats with your food is to slow down food absorbtion but didn't think it would actually slow it down that much... I'm not talking about massive amounts of fats either, yesterday I had 3 rounds of burgen bread with grated cheese / mayonnaise spread on them (3.3CP) a small pot of greek yoghurt (0.55CP) and a small packet of mini cheddars (1.2CP) all at 12:30 injeced my 8 units (split between leg and stomach to try and even out the asorption) and then promptly went hypo at 2pm only to rise up afterwards when the food + hypo treatment finally kicked in!

I've started to have fruit with my meals now which seems to be helping but just wondered how common this was?

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My BGL dips if I eat porridge. No rhyme nor reason to it.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Just wondering how common this is. If I eat a low GI / hi Fat meal I can find that my insulin can start going in before my food leading to a 2 hour dip rather than a 2 hour spike...

I know that the whole point of having low GI and combining fats with your food is to slow down food absorbtion but didn't think it would actually slow it down that much... I'm not talking about massive amounts of fats either, yesterday I had 3 rounds of burgen bread with grated cheese / mayonnaise spread on them (3.3CP) a small pot of greek yoghurt (0.55CP) and a small packet of mini cheddars (1.2CP) all at 12:30 injeced my 8 units (split between leg and stomach to try and even out the asorption) and then promptly went hypo at 2pm only to rise up afterwards when the food + hypo treatment finally kicked in!

I've started to have fruit with my meals now which seems to be helping but just wondered how common this was?
Try changing your carb ratio sounds as if you need less insulin in your bolus.

Reactions: 2 people

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try changing your carb ratio sounds as if you need less insulin in your bolus.

Don't think that's it because if I leave it I do come back up again when the food kicks in (obviously can't do that if I start off lowish in the first place though) also if I have something faster acting with my meal like fruit the ratio works and I don't have the dip..

diamondnostril

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Matt,

I had this problem for quite some time, when I was Low-Carb and especially after I moved specifically to Ketogenic diet. I couldn't seem to get the timing right. I discussed with my Doctor and she suggested to try a different Insulin. I moved from Humalog to Huminsulin Normal (this is called Humulin S in the UK) . . . this change worked brilliantly for me . . . the profile of the Insulin seemed to match very well with the profile of the foods that I was eating, and my problem with frequent post-meal lows was resolved.

There are lots of different Insulins out there, with different profiles. For anybody having problems with matching Bolus Insulin to the effects of their food, I'd definitely recommend to make a bit of research on the profiles of different Insulins, and/or discuss this with your Doctor. There may be an Insulin with a profile that suits you perfectly. If so, you might avoid multiple Bolus injections and/or worrying about the timing.

I've been registered with a few different Practices, and so far I've had no problems getting 2 Bolus Insulins on prescription - I get Humulin S for my regular Keto diet, and Humalog for correction doses and the times when I step out of the diet and eat more Carbs.

Regards :)
Antony

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Andy, I think that's what I was on when I was first diagnosed, never thought of goig back to it! I'll talk it over when I have my next consultant appointment, thanks for the tip!

Matt

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Realise I'm a bit late replying to this thread. I have exactly the same issue I've tried delaying my Novorapid bolus by upto 30 minutes but it doesnt fix the problem. Having a high GI like a biscuit 15 minutes before the meal helps but isn't ideal. Found Andy's reply really interesting and will discuss with Diabetic Team. Thanks Col

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think this was a bit if a passing thing for me in the end, more due to quite a bit if activity straight after eating than anything else.. I did they novarapid but that went in far too slowly so went back to Apidra... Hope you manage to get it sorted!