2 hour higher than 1?

Misky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all! I was diagnosed with pre diabetes about a year ago now and I've been trying my best to manage my diet. I've stopped testing so regularly as I feel I've got a good grasp on what my body deals with well. I've recently reintroduced small portions of white basmati rice (i know brown would be preferable but my IBS can't deal with it!) and so I wanted to test that.

Before meal was 4.8, 1 hour was 5.2 and 2 hours was 5.3. I had meat and cheese with my meal so could the fat from those have slowed the 1 hour spike? And are these readings good otherwise? Thanks!

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Those readings are great and nothing to worry about. Meters have an tolerance of (at this level about 0.5 mmol/l for 99% of all readings) so those values could all be the same.which shows that you either havent digested it yet or it is all done dusted and you have returned to normal.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those are brilliant readings!

But... basmati rice is fairly low to moderate GI and with the meat and cheese you might want to consider continuing your testing at 3, 4 and maybe 5 hours, just to see if you get a delayed spike.

Misky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those are brilliant readings!

But... basmati rice is fairly low to moderate GI and with the meat and cheese you might want to consider continuing your testing at 3, 4 and maybe 5 hours, just to see if you get a delayed spike.

Eek! I've never tested any of my meals at anything other than 1 and 2 hours, I hope I haven't been missing anything! I will try doing a couple more at later hours :)

ab.er.rant

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Don't worry about it too much. I've had about 3 meals over the course of about almost 5 weeks where the 1-hour and 2-hour readings was exactly like yours - the 2-hour reading was 0.1 or 0.2 higher. I would then test at 3 hours, and the reading would be down or it stayed in the same range. So as long as you're sure of what you ate (mine had no grain), then it's just meter inaccuracy.